PDA

View Full Version : fold top 2 pair with a lower pair on the board?

ninja please
01-11-2004, 07:38 PM
party 2/4

i've been at this table for 1 or 2 orbits. i get dealt AQo in the BB

EP (a player who isn't quite LAG but has raised a few times since i sat down with decent standards). button calls 2 (he's a bit of a CS from what i've seen)

i feel like i probably should have 3 bet here, but i wasn't sure. is this an easy fold/call/raise to most people? this was a spot where i feel like i should have known for sure at this point in my career.

flop is A77. i check, planning to check raise the PF raiser if the button folds, or C/R the turn if he calls. he calls and so do i.

turn: Q [A77]
this gives me top 2 pair, and i check planning to check raise the two players. EP bets, and then the button raises. this seemed to me to be too straightforward a "flopped trips" play from a player who could easily have called two bets cold with a hand that had a 7, so i folded.

is this a weak fold, or a good way not to pay off people who play too obviously? who keeps playing at this point?

crockpot
01-11-2004, 08:01 PM
i have no qualms with this fold unless you know the turn raiser to be an aggressive player. against a typical player at this point, i would suspect the best you can do is tie his AQ, and you can easily be behind.

Stu Pidasso
01-11-2004, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is this a weak fold, or a good way not to pay off people who play too obviously? who keeps playing at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call or three bet it. The button could be raising with all sorts of hands.

Stu

bernie
01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
hmm...

many CS have pretty high standards when betting, much less raising. though it does look like you're facing trips, do you have enough info about the CS to lay it down. maybe not yet.

if you really think he has trips, lay it down. you dont have the odds to hit you're 4 outer. also consider the possible 3 bet behind you.

a raise on the flop wouldve given you a little more info wouldnt it? i mean if this guy gets barraged then comes alive on the turn, it can be a little more obvious what he has. that's one way to do it.

but with lack of info, im at least calling. not sure if a 3 bet here will accomplish anything. however, this could also be the now common wait to the turn with TP crap kicker raise that ive seen lately. so in that case, a 3 bet would be nice.

interesting...

b