PDA

View Full Version : Folding kings on a double paired board

ElSapo
01-11-2004, 06:51 PM
This had has bothered me for two days. Party .5/1, and I'm off to a decent start in my quest to turn $50 into $37 million. Table is loose and passive, just like all .5/1 tables except that crazy one on Tuesday nights.

One limper, and I raise with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Folds to the BB, he calls, limper calls, and the flop is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BB bets, limper calls, I raise, they both call.

Turn is a T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, BB bets, limper calls and I call.

River is a T /images/graemlins/spade.gif, BB bets, limper calls and I fold.

ElSapo
01-11-2004, 06:52 PM
This hand looks even worse now that I've typed it out and posted it here. Playing like this, $37 million is a long, long way away.

thirddan
01-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I raise the turn and call down if raised

CMangano
01-11-2004, 08:55 PM
First, I would just call the flop. I learned this technique from Homer. Someone posted a similar hand a while back and Homer suggested just calling the flop due to your position relative to the better. Most players will just wait until the turn to bet or raise with a 5. So when the bb bets out and the limper just calls you should also just call. Now on the turn, if the bb bets you get to see what the limper does. If the limper raises you can be pretty sure that he has a 5 and you can safely fold. If the limper just calls now you can raise, as it is unlikely the bb would bet a 5 on that flop and your hand is probably good.

However, playing it the way you did, once you call the turn you have to call the river. The limper has given you no indication that he has a 5, and the bb isn't likely to come out betting with a 5 on the flop, so I think your hand will be good often enough to make this call correct.

csuf_gambler
01-11-2004, 09:09 PM
i would call it down. that guy could be betting the 8. and yes i have seen this, board is double paired and some idiot is open betting the single bottom pair thinking his 3 pair is good.

thirddan
01-11-2004, 09:19 PM
hmmm, interesting technique...glad you reposted it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif