PDA

View Full Version : Check the Turn to a cautious opponent?

pufferfish
01-11-2004, 03:52 PM
$.25/$.50, 10 handed. Loose and not very aggressive.

The Button in this hand is loose but cautious. I have not seen him bet his draws; bet for a free card. He may show down a marginal hand, but he won’t bet it. The only time I’ve seen him bet/raise is with a strong made hand.

I’m in the SB with red Aces.

UTG+2 open limps, MP, LMP and Button call. I raise. BB folds and everyone else calls. Five see the flop for 11 sb.

FLOP: [ K 7 4 ] – two clubs.

I bet out. UTG+2 and LMP call. Button raises and I 3-bet. UTG+2 and LMP fold, Button calls. Two see the turn for 19 sb / 9.5 bb.

First thought – raise to try and fold the other two opponents.
Second thought – Button has two pair/set. I wasn’t positive, but didn’t think he’d raise me with a single pair unless he had AK. He would have raised that pre-flop though.

TURN: [ K 7 4 ] [ Q ] – two clubs.

I bet and Button calls. Two see the river for 11.5 bb.

TURN: [ K 7 4 Q ] [ 4 ] – no flush.

I made my second pair so I bet and Button calls.

TY,
pf

RESULTS BELOW

Button had Kd 7d for flopped top two-pair.

bunky9590
01-11-2004, 04:04 PM
nicely played. The thing with aces is its easy to counterfeit someone elses two pair. Bet you loved when that 4 hit huh?

CMangano
01-11-2004, 04:15 PM
You shouldn't be 3 betting this flop to get info on the other players, you should be 3 betting this flop to get yourself heads up with the button. The pot is big and getting it heads up increases your chances of winning this hand. Even if the button showed me 2 pair, I would still 3 bet him.

Well played.

pufferfish
01-11-2004, 04:16 PM
The thing with aces is its easy to counterfeit someone elses two pair. Bet you loved when that 4 hit huh?

Yea, that was sweet. Would you have checked the turn given a similar read on an opponent?

TC,
pf

pufferfish
01-11-2004, 04:40 PM
You shouldn't be 3 betting this flop to get info on the other players, you should be 3 betting this flop to get yourself heads up with the button. The pot is big and getting it heads up increases your chances of winning this hand.

Agreed, hence the statement:

First thought – raise to try and fold the other two opponents.

The following statement was not meant to indicate that I was trying to get info from the Button or anyone else. It’s just meant to indicate that I thought I was behind the Button.

Second thought – Button has two pair/set. I wasn’t positive, but didn’t think he’d raise me with a single pair unless he had AK. He would have raised that pre-flop though.

Even if the button showed me 2 pair, I would still 3 bet him.

I think you have to. Only I’m not so much 3-betting him as the other two in the hand. Interesting, I think a side result of 3-betting this particular opponent is that he probably won’t raise again even if he has a set.

TY,
pf

bernie
01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
i wouldnt check it. these types id put on 2 pair since many will wait for the turn with a set. and they usually wont do a stop and go. they put you on the worst hand against them...KK. unless you think he'll fear a c/r and check it behind. (some do really puss out like this. the wimps) then id check it. gotta know your opponent well for that one.

but in even betting into him, if you had his hand, you already wouldve made more than him by the time the turn is over. that alone is profit enough to bet here. since youd be raising in his spot.

i think you read the player very well and stuck it to him. however, what if the board doesnt pair on the end?

b

pufferfish
01-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks bernie.

i think you read the player very well and stuck it to him. however, what if the board doesnt pair on the end?

I’d check-call. I wasn’t positive he had the two pair against, just pretty sure. I won’t fold that pot. I’m playing with him right now, he is an interesting opponent, doesn’t mind getting in the dirt.

TY,
pf

bunky9590
01-12-2004, 02:02 AM
No, I'm still coming out smoking. Bet and call a raise. My reads aren't always perfect.