PDA

View Full Version : AJo, KJo, QJo in EP

Brian462
01-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Are the conditions ever right to play these hands in any of the early positions? If so, what kind of game do you want for each one? Thanks in advance for any help.

bunky9590
01-11-2004, 01:01 AM
I can't think of any game where I play them from EP, seriously.

JTG51
01-11-2004, 01:13 AM
I can't think of any game where I play them from EP, seriously.

Wow, you are playing way too tight. If you're playing low limits, I doubt you've ever played in a game where AJo isn't profitable from EP.

thirddan
01-11-2004, 01:19 AM
a loose passive game with little preflop raising, most microlimit tables. I usually limp with AJ, i like KJ the least of all those hands

bunky9590
01-11-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm am not kidding, the only one MAY be AJ. But I'm a big fan of position. I do play super tight up front, but I make up for it in the LP areas and with the aggression I kick in on the hands I play.

Too tight huh? Isn't that a good thing? Boy is that a refreshing change to hear on this board. Thanks JTG.

Saborion
01-11-2004, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do play super tight up front, but I make up for it in the LP areas and with the aggression I kick in on the hands I play.

[/ QUOTE ]
"super tight up front"? Didn`t you raise with AT from EP a week or two ago? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yah I know, mixing up the play.

Saborion
01-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Playing AJ from EP. This is one of the few hands I`m a bit unsure of. Just like KQ you want few opponents with these hands, but is it still correct to raise with them from EP given your bad position? Limping is better even though you want few opponents? Maybe then trying for a check-raise postflop to get people out, like it says in HPFAP regarding some hands many people like to raise with pre-flop?

WillMagic
01-11-2004, 01:33 AM
In general, you can raise from EP with AJ, and you should fold KJ and QJ. You also should probably fold AJo from directly under the gun ten-handed, but play AJs.

Will

bunky9590
01-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Fast Gear , baby, Fast Gear!

You know that I have to change gears every now and then. otherwise might tight aggressive rock self would never get any action except from the stone cold nuts.

Also notice that the ATo from EP was a RAISE, not a limp.

Mike Gallo
01-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Brian,
If so, what kind of game do you want for each one?

You can limp or raise with AJ in a loose passive game. If you play in a tight aggressive game, you might consider mucking the hand.

I muck KJ and QJ off.

JTG51
01-11-2004, 02:05 AM
In games full of calling stations who cold call raises with hands like A8o and KTo, which describes most low limit games, AJ and KQ will be dominating much more often than they are dominated.

I doubt there's much difference between raising and limping with either in the long run, but raising has lots of extra benefits, so I raise.

JTG51
01-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Too tight huh? Isn't that a good thing?

No, just right is a good thing. Folding profitable hands is at least as bad as playing unprofitable hands.

JDErickson
01-11-2004, 03:23 AM
I tend to raise AJo more often than not. Depending on the game. But it is one of those hands that I need to work on as it is breakeven at best. I think its the flop play that kills me. I fold QJo and KJo in EP 95% of the time. Maybe in a super passive loose game I will limp. Actually tonight I hit this type of table and limped from EP. Flopped the nut straight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim

csuf_gambler
01-11-2004, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are the conditions ever right to play these hands in any of the early positions? If so, what kind of game do you want for each one? Thanks in advance for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

any game, any postion.

Brian462
01-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I got the type of response I supspected, most everyone plays or chooses not to play these hands uniquely.

My own stats on these hands show that they are very marginal(at best) in all early positions. Raising is not even out of the question it seems, especially with AJo and KJo at certain times, and possibly has hardly any effect at all on the longterm EV of them(much similar to KQo).

I think the best conclusion that I can draw from all of this is to play these hands when I feel I am playing at my best and happily fold them when I think that I am playing sub-par(though still well enough to keep playing), knowing I am not giving up much at all. Does anyone else use a similar approach to these types of hands?

Anyway, thanks again. Any other comments you guys have will be appreciated.

chesspain
01-11-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You can limp or raise with AJ in a loose passive game. If you play in a tight aggressive game, you might consider mucking the hand.

I muck KJ and QJ off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, except that I will sometimes raise with AJ in EP at a tight-aggressive table when the mood strikes me. I am happy enough if AQo and KQo to fold to this play, which can easily happen if my prior play has led others to see me as having fairly tight PF raising standards.