PDA

View Full Version : Giving PLO a go.

ALL1N
01-10-2004, 09:51 PM
I want to have a go at PLO. I've only played Holdem up until now, and if anybody could fill me on in some basic strategy or point me to a webpage it would be much appreciated.

Also, where is the best site to play PLO?

Acesover8s
01-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Switching from NLHE to PLO is a tough change. I normally reccomend people to switch to limit Omaha/8 before moving to PLO. However, if you understand how much different the added two hole cards make, go for it. I reccomend Ciaffone's "Omaha Holdem Poker" assuming you already understand the concepts behind Big Bet. Starting hands are tricky in this game, and drawing live is a factor that many players forget about. It is entirely possible to make a profit in this game by playing only AAxx, assuming you play it correctly.

Understanding outs and the math of the game are incredibly important. In the beginning you should pretend you're playing against a computer, and play YOUR hand only. Bet your strong hands, call when you are getting proper immediate odds (ignore implied odds for now). And fold most of the time.

The quality of the games online ranges from loose-passive (Party), tight-passive (UB), tight-aggressive (Pokerstars). I reccomend starting off at UB because you will rarely be bluffed at and the hands that win will be reasonable, giving you a barometer for how the game is "supposed" to be played.

After you've played for a while, you can try to do a few things different. . .

ALL1N
01-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Thanks

crockpot
01-11-2004, 04:12 AM
i have some basic PLO strategy on my website (address in sig). however, the way you want to play varies a lot based on how the opponents are playing. specifically, games on Party tend to be more aggressive, and since the blinds are twice as high relative to the buy-ins, a few things happen:

- implied odds are shot
- the value of redraws goes down
- you get into a lot more situations where a lot of money goes in preflop

as a general rule, though, you still want to be playing a solid strategy: pick hands that have four cards working together, have multiple ways to win, or have a small chance to hit a monster. in PLO, big pairs with poor sidecards play a lot like small pairs in hold 'em. if you can't get it heads-up preflop, you want to get in cheaply, try to flop top set, and get rich.

as for best sites: a year ago, i would have said ub, but their games are dying. party is definitely the loosest, but as i said above, you need to be ready for a wild game. paradise and stars are better bets for the grinder.