PDA

View Full Version : Bay 101

08-01-2002, 11:36 PM
I was at Bay 101 last night. They lost their appeal against the city of San Jose and are now required to close from 2 AM to 6 AM. Most employees are feeling pretty gloomy. Alot of discussion how this will mean far more than just the loss of those 4 hours. How long into the morning before things start to ramp back up.

Interesting sidelight, however, is what happens to the games during the last 30-60 minutes. Given the psychology of many players, as time winds down there's increasing loose play trying to get unstuck. I think this can be exploited.

Last night, there was lobbying to have the whole table put in $200 on the last hand and just deal out a holdem hand with no betting and the winner take all. I and some others declined but five people did this and of course one person won the thousand. It's entirely an even money proposition - can anyone see any reason to partake of this other than just for the hell of it? (San Jose has a cap of $200 on any one bet which is why that amount was used).

Claude

08-02-2002, 05:23 PM
This is going to be terrible for the higher limit games. It was not uncommon for the 30-60 to keep going for 3-4 days starting on Friday. I was there today for a bit of lunchtime poker at 12:30 and there was only on 15-30 game going and a not very long list to get the 30-60 going. gack!!

Not to mention the fact that early morning poker is one the great times to play.

08-02-2002, 09:23 PM
ive played alot in places where it closes down. and the games get really good the last hour or so. but also they get slow as so many are in the pots.

it certainly makes the games start later in the day as no one is around during the early morning hours then. but it also keeps the games lasting longer before the money dries up. if you are an 8 hour player its better for you but if you play long sessions it hurts.