PDA

View Full Version : Table selection tips?

Ric
01-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Are there any factors that you all use when selecting a table online? Party's only real tell is avg. pot size, and that can sometimes be misleading. Even so, what would be the minimum avg pot size you'd want if you were to sit at a .50/1 table? I was thinking around $8 would be adequate, but feel free to tell me otherwise. Also, if there's a way to see the table flop % I'd like to know that as well. I hope this belongs in the Micro forum. Thanks in advance!

TriciaToyota
01-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I check for tables with an average pot of $9-12. From watching tables the $6-8 pots always seem to be too tight. On the other end I've run into several maniacs that seem to create relatively large pot averages so I tend to avoid the abnormally high side.

The other thing I always look for is tables where most people have similar stacks. Assuming, many people select the default of $25 I like tables where most are in the $15-30 range. I want to be the one to join the table and create the money flow imbalance. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Similar stacks indicate to me that money may only be going back and forth. Of course you can never tell how much each person brought to the table.

Finally, I like to find a seat where the smaller stacks are on my right and the bigger ones to my left. Hopefully lots of loose calls to me and good folds after.

Mike Gallo
01-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Do you really have $38 in your account? You might want to reconsider how much money you need to play with.

I do not look at the pot size. I sit in a game, see how what type of dynamic it has and then take it from there.

Ric
01-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I only have $28 or so. I got the account from my dad, who tried Party and didn't do so hot so he gave me what was left. Right now I don't have a way of refilling or moving the money, and .50/1 is the lowest limit there, so I've been playing some. It's not like I've started with $300 and am down to $30, I started at around $30 and have been treading water. Once I can move the money around, I'll probably go to a site with lower limits.

WillMagic
01-11-2004, 01:36 AM
To answer your question, the way I normally select tables is I look for most of the players to be under the average buy-in. My theory is that if the players were better they'd have more cash.

But...your signature troubles me...and it suggests you haven't read the proper literature/don't understand the concept of a proper bankroll unless you are playing 10c/20c, so go read Theory of Poker and Winning Low Limit Hold'em before you proceed further.

Good luck.

Will

Ric
01-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Will, please see my other reply for an explanation of my very low bankroll. I recently got WLLHE, it's a very good book and is teaching me a lot. Thanks for your concern.