PDA

View Full Version : Who makes this river call...a hand that didnt play itself

Mike Gallo
01-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Good $1-$2 Party Poker.

I have QQ in the big blind. Two limpers to me the sb completes I raise all see the flop.

Flop come A /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

DB checks, I bet only one player calls.

Turn J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet player calls

River 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, my opponent bets. Who calls?

Mike Gallo
01-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I made the "crying" call.

My opponent had 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I take it down /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course I won the hand, I would not have posted it if I lost. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ramjam
01-10-2004, 12:29 PM
I think about 99% of the time. You probably would have heard from an ace by the turn and a 5 doesn't seem that likely. A jack is very likely to bet plus your check and that board look very well suited to inducing a bluff.

ProfLupin
01-10-2004, 12:30 PM
I'd call only because If I was your 0pponent and had a jack, I'd probably bet in this situation.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Call. Check/calling the river was right...way to induce the bluff.

colgin
01-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Seems like an easy call to me. There is little chance that the typical Party $1/2 player would not raise the turn if he/she had an Ace. I think your check/call (as opposed to betting) won you an extra BB. Good job!

Brian462
01-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Whenever you check the river like you did in this hand you are very much inducing your opponent to bluff. There are ALOT of weak-aggressive players who will bluff when checked to at the river every time so I think calling is mandatory here and in all other situations where you hold any sort of hand at all when heads up at the river.

Mike Gallo
01-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks to everyone that responsed.

I indeed did check the river to induce a bluff.

A worse hand will not call, but a worse one will bet.

spamuell
01-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Of course you had to call, but I'm not sure you're right saying a worse hand won't call but will bet.

Against a lot of the players I play on TGC, many of whom are very loose-passive, I think a bet here would be correct, because they would call with a Jack but they wouldn't bet with it. Against a typical player, check-call is good though.

bunky9590
01-10-2004, 06:59 PM
1-2 party Poker???

Auto Call.