PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong?

symphonic
01-10-2004, 02:05 AM
So i've been playing hold'em for a few years now, and would consider myself a tight-aggressive player. In 3-6 live games that I play normally twice a week for about 6-8 hours a time, I make about 3-4 BB an hour. That's not great I suppose, but it's not too bad. Well for the first time today, I put in $100 at party poker and played the 2/4 limit game. I got smoooookeeeed, and it's really discouraging. I couldn't catch a decent starting hand to save my life, and when I did get a decent "playable" hand, i'd get nothing on the flop or if I did get something, i'd get rivered like no other. Needless to say, my small starting $100 bankroll, was lost in a few mere hours. I hate to just stick to Live games, since I can only get around to playing two or three times a week, but it seems Online isn't my bag. You all seem more knowledgable than me, what do you suggest?

rkiray
01-10-2004, 02:22 AM
Get a bankroll much bigger than 25 BBs.

symphonic
01-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Haha, yea I know. I thought $100 would work, because I've never bought in for more than $100 at 3-6 live games and always leave up about $100-$200

rkiray
01-10-2004, 02:30 AM
Live games are generally much softer than on-line at the same level.

kiddo
01-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Start online at a lower level. Livegames is much slower so you can play at a higher level with same risk. Live is 30hands/hour, online 60/h. That is: 3/6 online is like 6/12 live.

Start with .50/1 or 1/2 and get used to the feeling of playing online. In a livegame you often can see who is a beginner (who is there to have a good time) and who isnt, you dont always have to see them play to understand tihs. Online you only got there way of playing to help you.

At a level where I am winning 4BB/hour (say 2/4 at Party Poker) I sometimes lose 100BB before starting to win again. That is: If you start at a level where you are 1 of the better players you still need like 100BB and even then you can go broke if you are very unlucky.

Also: The players at Paradise Poker is better then at, for example, Party Poker (at least they were when I played there a lot 8-9 months ago).

scotnt73
01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Live games are generally much softer than on-line at the same level.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.