PDA

View Full Version : NE weather

Wildbill
01-10-2004, 12:10 AM
I would proceed with caution on the total for this game. Everyone is one the under because of the cold conditions, but looking at the styles of these teams I don't know if it is wise to go under. The two teams are clearly going to throw the ball, the short ball. On a frozen field the edge generally will go to the offensive player in that spot, they know where they are going and their defenders will slip or not be able to make clean tackles at times. This could make these dink plays go quite a long way. Since both teams haven't been that strong running the ball and face a defense that plays the run well, I don't think they will go conservative as many suspect. As long as it is just cold and modestly windy then the passing games could be very productive. Add to that this total coming down so far, in good conditions this total would be over 40. The two teams scored 68 points earlier in the year and that was with the Pats running the ball more than they did for most of the year. I am sitting it out for now, waiting to see how low it goes and then I probably will go with the over. Not crazy about it since the wind is a wildcard, but still have to think the public is overestimating how exactly the weather will affect the game.

mikelow
01-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Have heard about windchill as low as -30 in this one. I like your anti-public view on this one, but it just may be hard to score, period. Laying off this one completely.

jstnrgrs
01-10-2004, 01:26 AM
It is as cold here as I can ever remember it being, and even a modest wind makes for frigid wind chills.

FYI, the field at Glette Stadium is heated. The air will still be brutal, but the field should not be frozen. Also, the NFL forced the Patriots to intsall a new field (I think they put it in on Sunday), so the muddy bumpy track that they have been playing on the past few weeks is gone.

Wildbill
01-10-2004, 01:36 AM
You can't heat a field enough in that weather unless it isn't natural grass. The water content in the dirt is sure to be frozen or at least partially so and the blades of grass will be covered in little bits of ice. I think heating is merely to avoid snowy messes like the game everyone remembers, but as you point out it is a once in a decade type of cold right now. Still just remember both teams have to play in it and no matter how cold it is, there still is too much on the line not to go out and play your best game. For that reason I think both teams will be passing and for all the gaffes the offense makes, all it takes is one defensive gaffe and you have a player taking a short play and making it into a long one.

Gitz
01-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Bill,

I agree with you on this one. I see Brady and McNair throwing 5 yard passes and there will be no one arm tackles or even one man tackles it will take two players to bring the recievers down.

I'm waiting for 33.5 though before I bet.

GLWB