PDA

View Full Version : short handed play

08-11-2002, 01:35 AM
What if I were to say that I will no longer play in shorthaned games. I've read numerous amounts of places that shorthanded play is one of the most profitable ways to make money. I just don't see this. It seems to me that luck is a huge factor in shorthanded play and the swings can be astronomical.

I also cannot handle it emotionally. It's just so irritating watching your BB bets move up and down like a seesaw.

I don't care if I was playing with a guy who had no idea about the game or raised everything, he still on any given day could beat me in a limit hold'em game, by catching the right cards.

I think I'm going to stand by this idea and concentrate much more on a regualr 10 person 9 person ring game. I can't handle the swings of a shorthanded game and emotionally I can't handle it either.

08-11-2002, 01:47 AM
retool back to your full game, then once back in your comfort zone, then ease into SH somewhat. it's a different style game,thats for sure.

it can be a nice change of pace from a full game too. but kudos to you when you recognize a problem your having, and/or you limitations at this time. always can expand your game at a later time remember.

good luck..

b

08-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Well, if you aren't comfortable lowering your standards for starting hands or aren't comfortable calling a particular opponent down with bottom pair then you have no business playing shorthanded.

I don't care if I was playing with a guy who had no idea about the game or raised everything, he still on any given day could beat me in a limit hold'em game, by catching the right cards.

You should care about this guy. His play becomes more correct as the number of players decrease. You say he could beat you. I say he should beat you, whether he catches the right cards or not. Of course, this player would get consistently brutalized in regular, ten-handed game.

08-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Shorthanded junkie, checking in ...

"I've read numerous amounts of places that shorthanded play is one of the most profitable ways to make money."

True.

Whenever someone says, "I hate shorthanded because the blinds come around too fast," I think, "I love shorthanded because the button comes around so fast."

"I just don't see this. ... I can't handle the swings of a shorthanded game and emotionally I can't handle it either."

Then don't play. But don't assume that just because you are uncomfortable with shorthanded, that it can't be a big money maker for anyone.

I usually only play in full games if it's a must-move game that will break within a few hours, or a lone game that will likely start to thin out within a few hours.

On an hourly basis, I think I net triple at shorthanded what I do in full games. On a per-hand basis (my method of tracking), it's less skewed, but still better numbers at short than full. But none of that is why I seek out short games. It's just more fun.

Tommy

08-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Then you better decide to never ever join tournaments and satellites either. Ain't no way you're gonna win these if you don't like shorthanded.

08-11-2002, 11:47 PM
What if I were to say that I will no longer play in shorthaned games

I'd say you are making the right decision. For you. Anxiety and poker don't mix very well.

But some of the things you are missing (and I'm including thoughts from other posts above):

- it's more fun. God, yes. The patterns, idiosyncracies, tells, and comfort levels of your opponents become easier to see as the number of players decrease.

- it's more profitable. Again, yes, for somebody who understands the true meaning of variance.

- playing shorthanded is often necessary if you want to play at all. Somebody's got to start new tables, or keep the once-full tables going when players start to drift off. In fact this is the most profitable time to play short hand poker, when the numbers have dwindled and it's only you and a couple-to-three players left holding it all together until the table fills up again. In the best of all worlds your opponents will still be playing their full ring game.

The big trick to playing short handed is recognizing that A4s or K10o on the button is a monster hand when it's been folded to you, and then pretending it is even more of a monster when the flop misses you completely.

The art comes on after you've been check-raised by the bb when the turn shows another x.

I'm getting itchy just thinking about it.

Best of luck. Billy (LTL)