PDA

View Full Version : What if you don't mind being isolated?

CMP
01-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Hey all--

New to the Party $5/10 6-max games. I see a lot of (seemingly) ridiculous aggression there.

A few sessions ago, I noticed my LHO raising any time I limped. If I raised, he usually cold-called -- I guess he just liked playing with me :-)

I recognized this, it didn't bother me, I wasn't afraid of this opponent (who showed down some real garbage), I just accepted that limping hands would cost $10 instead of $5.

I also did okay playing this way, allowing myself to get isolated -- I lost small pots when I missed and won big ones when I hit -- if I made it past the flop, we usually showed down.

I didn't mix in any limp-re-raises -- that's one thing I'll try if I notice this again.

Other than that, I was fine with how it went.

Any comments on the feeling, or other tips on how to play an over-aggressive opponent who wants to "outplay" you but who will still pay off when you make your hand (i.e., he won't fold much).

CMP

scotnt73
01-09-2004, 05:31 PM
ive just moved over to partys 1/2 6 max this week to get a feel for shorthanded play. im a consistant winner at party. ive worked my way up from .50/1-2/4 full tables. i have to say when everyone says aggressive i had no idea just how aggressive they are its crazy! its also alot of fun. after about 800 6 max hands(not much i know) ive just now STARTED to get a feel for it. these guys will cap with second pair! i was folding way to much early on. is 35% of flops seen seem about right in this invironment?

eugeneel
01-09-2004, 09:53 PM
35% is fine for those limits. I think hands like 89s should be limped with UTG there (something I would never do at high stakes). However, more "high card" type hands should be discarted. So you would be more inclined to fold a hand like AJ and KJo in early positions when playing small stakes.

As far as the original post. You are lucky to be in such a position so just take advantage of it. limpraising should be avoided in my opinion because u don't want to make him afraid of doing what he is already doing.

-Eugene

naphand
01-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Cannot agree with this last post.

While 35% is fine that definitely does NOT include limping 89s UTG. With weak suited connectors like this (and I rarely play less than T9s OTB) you are relying on 4-5 people seeing the flop for no raise, to get the necessary implied odds to justify the play. Limping UTG with trash like this, you will find yourself getting raised and up against 3 players: you just made a losing play. You are assuming ALL the players will let you in with a UTG limp, and still relying on getting enough players in the pot to justify your play, and you just cannot do this UTG. Keep your limps like this to Button and CO only, if at all. The possible benefit of playing these hands is the table image it gives you, people will not know if your hands are good or trash, but that is only an occasional play.

KJo - you should consider folding this UTG or UTG+1, it is a vulnerable hand and you are out of position. I doubt playing KJo UTG will show any profit. Fold KJo to a raise except from the wildest of players (who are raising with the likes of K6s and QJo).

AJo is a strong hand on the short tables and an easy raise UTG, you have to raise with this to hurt the players trying to get in playing A5o, Axs and QJo, KJo etc. I have to consider folding to an EP raise from a solid player, but with position and a read on the player, I re-raise.

As for limp-reraising: DEFINITELY. Why don't you want to scare the hell out of these guys? You should not be in the position where you want the guy after you to raise you when you limp UNLESS you intend to re-raise and get extra money in the pot. If he raises you every time you limp, you know that you cannot limp with any limpable hands (such as the small-suited you mention), you also know nothing about his cards as he auto-raises you. You are putting yourself in a position where you have less control, and less information. This is not good. If you EVER intend limping in UTG or MP you have to limp-reraise with strong hands to protect these plays - either that or stop limping with anything remotely marginal.