PDA

View Full Version : How did I play this middle pair?

chesspain
01-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Party 1/2...have only been at the table one orbit, although it seems fairly loose-passive...

I'm in the SB, and receive T /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP calls, folded to LP who calls, folded to me and I complete, BB checks...6 to the flop for 6SB...

T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, and it's checked all the way around (!?)

[T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, and it's checked to MP who bets, LP calls, and with middle pair and the gutshot I also call (raise?), BB and EP1 fold, EP2 calls...four to the river for 7BB...

[T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, and it's folded to LP who calls...

So, how fishy was my play? Results below.............
LP showed K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and MHIG

ScottTheFish
01-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I would bet the turn after the flop got checked around. If I thought MP was the type to auto-bet when it's checked to him on the turn, I probably raise. If he just calls the raise, then I would bet out on the river.

chesspain
01-09-2004, 01:12 PM
I actually had planned on checkraising the flop if a bet had come from MP or LP, in order to try to thin out the field, and to possibly buy a free card through the fear of another c/r, but that plan was foiled.

After the rag hit on the turn, I checked in order to let others act first, with a thought about checkraising if it was openbet by LP. However, given the bets by both MP and LP, I began to worry that I was up against either a better T or J/lousy kicker (monsters under the bed?). So I just decided to call. When the second J hit, I decided to take charge and bet, since I was planning to call anyway.

ScottTheFish
01-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I haven't seen too many at 1/2 who wouldn't bet the flop with top pair/any kicker. When the flop got checked around, i would feel pretty sure I was ahead. Sometimes a guy is slowplaying a set or top pair, but I haven't seen it enough that I worry about it.

If I got raised on the turn after that brick hit, then I would start thinking maybe slow played set or some fish hit his raggy 2 pair. I'd have to have a good read to fold tho, unless the pot was pretty small. In a decent sized pot I'd call it down, too many of these jokers will raise with overcards or 2nd pair.

From the turn on I would assume I was ahead until told otherwise. I definitely would have bet the river like you did.

thirddan
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
I bet this turn every time. I would also bet the river. I don't think that at 1/2 someone would check top pair because of fear of overcards, this is more likely with a K or A high flop. I almost never check-raise for free cards at this limit either, doesn't work often for me. If i feel MP or LP bets this flop to steal and i checkraise, im gonna bet the turn everytime