PDA

View Full Version : Was I too reckless here?

jedi
01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Here's a hand I played yesterday, and I'm wondering if I should have done anything different. I have no reads on these players right now.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Jedi has Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button

UTG limps, EP1 limps, EP2 limps, MP2 limps, Jedi raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP2 3-bets, Jedi caps, UTG calls, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls

3-bet me on the flop? Should I be looking out for Kings and Aces at this point? Wondering if my cap was correct.

Flop(22 SB): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, MP2 bets, Jedi raises, UTG calls, EP1 folds, EP2 folds, MP2 calls

Flop was good, no Aces or Kings so I'm still ahead of AK. I raise, intending to slow down if I get 3-bet. No 3-bet comes though.

Turn(24 BB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, MP2 checks, Jedi bets, UTG calls, MP2 calls

River(28 BB): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets, MP2 calls, Jedi calls

Uh-oh. Did he just make a straight? Maybe slowplaying a set? Backdoor a flush? Either way, this is the first I've heard from UTG. I call it down, not liking it at all.

Results in white:
<font color="white"> UTG has T9 for the super straight. MP2 has pocket Aces. I was 3rd best on this hand. </font>

ramjam
01-09-2004, 12:40 PM
I have seen quite a few microlimit limp-reraises. Once it was AK. Mostly it's been a small or medium pocket pair. Sometimes it's been junk. It's never been AA or KK. Based on that experience I'd cap pre-flop too.

I don't understand here why MP2 didn't 3-bet the flop or check-raise the turn - when he didn't you could assume you were ahead and you shouldn't slow down with such a big pot up for grabs and other players to try to knock out.

There was nothing more you could do to stop UTG drawing out on you.

fluff
01-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, after MP2 bets into you after your PF cap, I would probably slow down. He certainly liked the flop. Most of the Party fish types would not be betting into you here without the goods, as they are more the suck-out types.

On the other hand, a raise on the flop is not bad either, for the purpose of getting information. Unfortunately MP2 didn't give you any by just calling.

As for the Super Fish who called down with gutshot straight draw, not much more you can do here other than what you did. For 1 more BB for a 28 BB pot, it was certainly ok to call with overpair.

kiemo
01-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Get rid of the guy with pocket aces and thats pretty much how the majority of my hands go. I almost always am the leader till the river and no matter how much I bet some guy is willing to call me all day long hoping to catch their one card on the river, this of course should make me happy, but over and over again it bites me in the ass.