PDA

View Full Version : Holding KK against one opponent with A on flop?

07-25-2002, 02:03 PM
I run into this situation a lot holding QQ or KK. It's especially tricky when you're the first one in in late position and you raise and you end up only against the big blind. What if there is an A on the flop?

Your opponent could checkraise you on the flop which means he either has the A or he's representing that he has it. I usually fold in this situation.

Or your opponent could call you with the top pair and weak kicker all the way to the river and beat you that way. If you don't bet the turn you can assume that he will bet the river and not let you showdown for free.

What do you guys do?

07-26-2002, 12:30 PM
"What do you guys do?"

When they checkraise the flop, I usually reraise.

Keep in mind that they have some fear issues as well. After all, they are facing a preflop raiser, with an ace on board, out of position. Not enviable.

Tommy

07-26-2002, 01:56 PM
i sometimes check the flop, then call the turn and river. bet turn if checked to me.

with KK and a board like A-8-4, you are very vulnerable to free cards.

07-26-2002, 01:57 PM
you are very vulnerable to free cards

i of course meant NOT very vulnerable to free cards

07-26-2002, 04:17 PM
But Tommy, they could be holding something as weak as Axs and with the ace on board they already have you beat. That's what the checkraise would suggest. Especially if they are a loose weak player that would defend their blind with any ace. I worry about your advice because I feel like you give them too much credit for being an intelligent player. Most players will call you all the way with top pair and in this case would beat you.

07-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Stevie,

Yes, if I have KK and they have A-x and an ace flops, I lose. I'm still reraising if they checkraise because there is not enough info to fold (against most opponents) and because calling their check-raise won't give me enough info to choose wisely on the turn and river, and because if they are out of line, the only way I can give them a chance to bail out now is to reraise.

"I feel like you give them too much credit for being an intelligent player."

I give them plenty of credit because every one of their ancestors, back to the dawn of life, lived to breeding age and succeeded. Impressive.

Tommy

07-27-2002, 12:18 AM
"I give them plenty of credit because every one of their ancestors, back to the dawn of life, lived to breeding age and succeeded. Impressive."

oh cut it out. if there was any significant corelation between survival of the fittest and playing hold em well this would be a very empty planet.

07-27-2002, 12:48 AM
I would think you'd want to bet on the flop if you have more than just one opponent, cause you want to get them out. Similarly you'd want to bet heads up with a lesser pair than KK, cause of the possibility of a free card beating you (as nf stated). Just heads up with KK, though, I would check behind them and hope they pick up something on the turn like a pair of queens or jacks to let them bet into me. If you think they have an ace with a weak kicker you could probably move them off it if they are a competent player, but with a lot of low limit players, they will PONDER your bets/raises on every street, but ultimately still call.

08-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Tommy, here's my thoughts:

Bet the flop. If you get check-raised, then you know that you're up against at least an Ace. At this point you should reraise - your preflop raise will make your opponent think you raised preflop with AQ or AK. If they call, then you can expect to make a lot of money over the next few hours (by raising with AT and up to get heads up with this opponent).

If your opponent caps it at this point, you're probably already up against 2 pair (likely Ace high unless your opponent will defend the blind with any two cards with matching backs). You can fold here since you can be sure they're going to bet it out (costing you 2 more BB to see their cards).

If your opponent only calls, but you fear that they still have the ace and will call to the river, then you can check the turn when it is checked to you (getting a free chance to catch your miracle King). If there is a good chance they will fold, bet the turn. If they call, then check the river since they're not going to fold now. You can also check the turn and hope for a miracle king with your free card. Either way, it costs you 1 BB to see their cards.

If your opponent comes out betting on the turn after calling your reraise on the flop, then they just made 2 pair and you can fold.

All of this assumes that your opponent will bet with less than top pair heads up. Since Sklansky recommends treating the ace as a deuce, this may very well be what they are doing. Of course, if you know your opponent to only bet with a minimum of top pair, and call to the river, you can toss KK on the flop (although you must still bet if it is checked to you!).