PDA

View Full Version : guessing i misplayed this...

muzungu
01-09-2004, 03:50 AM
$50 Party NL. Relevant opponent (who seems pretty decent) and I both have $60 or so.

Preflop. I've got 44 in late MP. Limp after a limper or 2, button makes it $4, limper calls, as do I. 3 to flop for $13.

Flop: 3 5 6, 2 spades. EP checks to me.

Q1: what now? Bet or check? Presumably, button is going to bet here, so I could check with the intention of checkraising. If I check-call that might get me another card for the cheapest, but he'll be firing again on the turn. Maybe just check-call, and try to get his chips in the middle if i hit, and fold if I dont? On the other hand, if I bet, I could get raised- then what? One thing that makes this hand tricky is that if he has AK or something I could be ahead.

As it turned out, I bet $10, and he min-raised to $20.

Umm... now what? Thinking back, I wish I had gone all-in. If he does have an overpair and calls, then I have 10 outs twice, which isn't so bad. In terms of call vs. fold, i thought he was putting me on a flush draw, so if a 2/4/7 hit i might get some implied odds. Plus, i'm getting $10 vs. $43, which is already good enough.

I called. Turn card a K. I check, he bets all-in for $35 or so, I fold. Ugh.

Thoughts?

-muz

muzungu
01-10-2004, 03:08 AM
Advice? Anyone? Thanks.

harboral
01-10-2004, 04:07 AM
To start, I probably would not call the raise preflop - you are 7.5 - 1 against flopping a set, and you usually are not going to flop a straight draw.........But you did, and that turned out to be worse. Since you were in the pot, you took a very aggressive stand, and it backfired. I would have checked and then looked at what the bet was before going on with the hand.....you want odds to call the bet so you really want that third player in there. If it is heads up you don't get the odds you need and your pair is most likely trash IMHO, even if he has AK and not a higher pair because he is going to put a lot of pressure on you. All in all this play was poor. Dump the cards to begin with.

JohnG
01-10-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$50 Party NL. Relevant opponent (who seems pretty decent) and I both have $60 or so.

Preflop. I've got 44 in late MP. Limp after a limper or 2, button makes it $4, limper calls, as do I. 3 to flop for $13.

Flop: 3 5 6, 2 spades. EP checks to me.

Q1: what now? Bet or check?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either is an option. You can go for check-raise all-in if you expect him to bet. If you do, he will not be folding any overapairs, or at least he shouldn't, to the all-in but may fold his overcards. But it's ok if he calls with these too. This also allows you to check-fold if the raiser bets and the other player raises.

I prefer the all-in check-raise here because of the nature of my hand and stack/pot ratios. I have a good chance of winning a big pot uncontested, and cannot be buried if called.

I prefer betting to put the raiser in the middle when the nature of my hand means that if I check-raise all-in I could be buried if called, but will never have them buried. i.e. 2nd pair or whatever.

Of course, check-folding may be best option depending on range of hands you give the raiser for his action. Mainly, the number of overcards he would raise with compared to PPs.

[ QUOTE ]
As it turned out, I bet $10, and he min-raised to $20.

Umm... now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is better than all-in I think, as the all-in will surely be called and be behind. He is representing an overpair and who am I to doubt him here.

If it was me, I'd call, even though it's not normally a good idea on these ratios. Normally it would be all-in or old with these ratios after he raises, with fold being prefered choice as all-in probably has no chance of winning uncontested. But I'd make an exception and call here. I give him an overpair. I am getting over 4-1 direct odds. Almost the right odds to call for 1 card. Plus, for my call he prob will give me a flush draw, so I may win with a bluff when the flush hits.

If I miss turn, or flush hits, I check. If he bets, I fold. If he checks behind, after flush hit turn, I bet all-in on river.

If he checks, after flush and my draws missed, then I will bet all-in if flush hits river. Otherwise I will check unless other scare card hit I can represent such as the 4 card straight or whatever.

Of course, if he's dumb enough to make this flop raise with an overpair or overcards and then fold if you move-in, then move in on flop.

EDIT: Just noticed that you both had 60. Some of my comments were made thinking you started with $44 doh. Either way, I think the main theme of my post still stands, but I can't be bothered going back to edit the detail. i.e. he may now fold some overpairs to a check-raise all-in. So check-raise all-in is even better than when I thought you started with $44.