PDA

View Full Version : Giving a free card.

bunky9590
01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
UB $25 NLHE
Table is surpeisingly tight, agressive preflop, more passive post flop. No really good players there, (aside from myself) Nobody stands out as horrible either.

I pick up 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP, folded to me I raise to $2.00, I get it heads up against the SB. (no real reads on the SB, he just sat down)

I have $32.00 SB has $24.00

Flop comes 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, I check the top set. Anyone else trap here?

bunky9590
01-09-2004, 07:11 PM
The Sb seemed to be reasonable. Not playing alot of pots but not going through the roof with raising when he was in .

I put him as weak tight.

I checked the flop to make him think I whiffed with AK. There was no way he put me on 77. Results to follow, but is checking the flop okay here?

AJo Go All In
01-09-2004, 07:21 PM
yes. it is okay. your opponent is very likely drawing dead.

ThaSaltCracka
01-09-2004, 07:33 PM
definitely try for the trap, no flush draw, busted straight draw, I wouldn't think other player has anything to connect/build a straight, try to trap for sure.

Fistdantilus
01-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Sorry man, but hands where you have the absolute nuts are not something that you or we need to mull over. These hands are infrequent, and the decisions only affect how much you will win rather than IF you will win.

Only check the flop if you would normally check the flop with a weaker hand. Otherwise bet.

Fistdantilus

bunky9590
01-09-2004, 07:42 PM
I had been betting and raising my share thats for sure.

I checked behind on the flop.

Turn brought a 9.
He checks again. I bet $6.00.
I bet over the pot to make it look like a move. He calls.

River: 2 (filling me up)
He checks, yet again. I bet $10.00. He thinks for 20 seconds and calls.

He shows 55 and MHIG.
I don't think he calls a pot sized flop bet after a preflop raise with that board. But, then again, maybe I'm wrong.

JohnG
01-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, if you're going to give a free card with a medium set, then 55 is the hand to be against.

Personally, for the hands he can give me, and the hands I give him, I bet this flop. But I'd be betting this flop with AK too against this guy headsup and that might help him double me through.

A free card would be a mistake here if the money was deeper post flop.

ThaSaltCracka
01-09-2004, 08:52 PM
what does MHIG mean?
anyways as Bunky so eloquently displayed, this is how you get PAID, making a move on the flop in this case would have probably caused his opponent to fold. He checks along and that makes the turn move that much more profitable, by the river his opponent was basically giving him his money, that is why the trap is much more profitable in the long run than the run of the mill all-in scare tactic.
However, I would say that Bunky had a great opportunity for the trap with what he was dealt, and then the coming flop.
Nice playing Bunky!

ThaSaltCracka
01-09-2004, 08:55 PM
I was posting while you were.

I agree with your last sentence, that would have made a big difference, because if the money in the pot was larger, his opponent may have been more likely to call an all-in

bunky9590
01-09-2004, 09:02 PM
MHIG = My Hand Is Good.

I though it was the prime time to slowplay, as it is not my normal style. I had been buying a lot of pots with flop bets and all folding.

When I got this rag tag rainbow flop with top set, I had to let him catch up. I had to put him on a small/medium pair or suited big cards, eg. KJ or KQs.

Which he would never call a pot sized flop bet with.

I thought I played it right and I would NEVER check the turn behind and give two free cards. I would always try to steal in that position.

On the end, I sold my hand for what I think he would call. I seriously doubt he would call my all in.