PDA

View Full Version : First 2-4 hand, Starting out w/a wimper intead of a Roar

me454555
01-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO

UTG limps, EP2 limps, Hero(poster) checks, Button limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(6 SB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, BB raises, UTG folds, EP2 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls

Turn(6 BB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero calls, SB calls

Should I 3-bet this b/c I've picked up many outs and might want to see a showdown cheap?

River(9 BB): 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero folds, SB calls

I really don't like my play in this hand, how could I have played it better?

mmanne
01-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't think I would have played this hand that way at all. First of all, I think it's pretty bad not to raise pre-flop. You've got a high quality hand (one that I would think about limp-raising with in EP) and already have 2 callers, get some more cash in the pot.
I've got no problem with the flop cold-call, but I'd have thought about a 3-bet. In fact, I think a 3-bet is better. You might get a free card and you are drawing to a ton of pretty outs.
By the time the turn comes around, you have to play this as you did, but I think a raise earlier would have you more in control of the pot.

MikeyObviously
01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
well, i'd raise preflop for starters...then of course if you do that then that changes flop strategy... i'd bet if it got checked to and raise if ep bets for free card.

J.R.
01-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Raise preflop.

I would begrudginly call the flop, because I don't like to call in general but you have the outs and a raise may get you capped. If MP played his draws strongly you might be able to leverage out the SB if he has a weak ace, but then again the flop play would be easier if you had raised preflop. I also think its unlikey MP raises even the nut flush draw and a pair with 2 more to act, so I think you are behind here.

I would call the turn having picked up more outs, no need to get three-bet with a hand that is not likely best but has a good shot at improving.

I would fold this river unless you knew MP pushed his draws very hard, which I think is pretty unlikely in this situation.

me454555
01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Most of the advice here has been to raise pf. I made a similar post a few weeks back on this topic.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=461272&Fo rum=micro&Words=me454555&Match=Username&Searchpage =0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=461272&Search=true#Pos t461272

The advice was mostly to limp pf w/these big hands. I thought raising this pf was only good when you have a lot of people in the pot and wanted to tie them to it. I thought a raise might drive out the blinds here, killing my implied odds. I thought keeping them in was very good b/c I had a very strong drawing hand.

J.R.
01-08-2004, 07:29 PM
I thought raising this pf was only good when you have a lot of people in the pot and wanted to tie them to it.

That's more relevant consideration with a lesser hand, like JTs or 88, but still applies. In this case you have the best of both worlds. Your KQs is likely the best hand, so you want to punish the other's weaker hands and get the money into the pot while you have the best hand. KQs, while not as good a hand as AK, has similar properties in that you will flop top pair, great kicker quite often, so raise and hurt your opponent's implied odds, not your implied odds. A hand like KQs is good enough to stand on its own and unlike a baby pocket pair, it does not thrive on implied odds, especially in an unraised pot.

You may buy the button. You have position on the limpers. You may fold the blinds (cool), and you may get them to call with a poor hand (good) while you hold a hand that plays well in a bloated, multi-way as well (good). You may flop a draw and be able to take a free card.

There's multiple things a preflop raise does for you, and its good if lots of people call or if you get the pot 3 handed. There may be more of an argument to limp in EP to induce others to come along, but with two players already in the pot there's little reason not to raise.

themul56
01-08-2004, 09:40 PM
I would definately raise pre-flop. Make the weak pay. I would definately 3-bet the flop. With the overcard outs and the flush draw and a straight draw I would get the money in the pot. The turn I might raise because now you have top pair and more outs. Ithink that showing more strength in this hand would have given you a chance to win it outright with out going to the river. Even so I think just calling was not the correct play.

me454555
01-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I think your definatly right about the pf and flop raises. The queen only gives me 2nd pair though, not top pair.

Redhotman
01-09-2004, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO

UTG limps, EP2 limps, Hero(poster) checks, Button limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(6 SB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, BB raises, UTG folds, EP2 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls

Turn(6 BB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero calls, SB calls

Should I 3-bet this b/c I've picked up many outs and might want to see a showdown cheap?

River(9 BB): 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero folds, SB calls

I really don't like my play in this hand, how could I have played it better?

[/ QUOTE ]
u are weak tight.

raise pre=flop. raise the flop. raise the turn.