PDA

View Full Version : Did I bootstrap my way to the river? -- AK hand

colgin
01-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Party $1/2. I am in the BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Two EP limpers, Button limps, SB completes, I raise and everyone calls.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I figure that I have the odds to call a bet to my overcards (due to my pre-flop raise), so instead of checking and calling I bet out. EP1 folds, EP2 calls, Button calls and SB folds.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

Now, do I fire another shot at the pot? I wimp out (or is this wise?) and check. EP bets, Button folds and I call. I think this is probably a bad call. I would have just had the odds if all of my overcards outs were clean, but they almost certainly are not. If I am not already up against a made flush then I could easily be up against a singleton diamond, so two of my outs are probably no good.

River: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif [8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

I check, EP bets and I call. Certainly, now is the time to fold. I can only beat a bluff here and EP has fired shots on the last two rounds. I look at the pot and realize I am getting 9:1 odds on my call so I call. This is what I mean by bootstrapping in my post title. My questionable action on a prior round gave me some basis for my questionable action on the next round. Comments (or flames) appreciated. Results to follow.

Lost Wages
01-08-2004, 02:41 PM
I think you analyzed this one pretty well yourself. Preflop, routine. I like betting the flop because if you just check and call a Q high flop after raising preflop you might as well be playing your cards face-up. On the turn, give it up. You're getting less than 7:1 after the rake with no assurance that even one of your 4 "clean" outs will help. EP could have AQ/A8/KQ/K8.

Lost Wages

colgin
01-08-2004, 06:20 PM
LW,

Thanks for the reply. My opponent showed me J9o (the J being a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif), which was one of the few hands I could beat. I took the pot but don't like the way I played the turn and river.

Colgin