PDA

View Full Version : I just lost a little respect for Joe Gibbs

clovenhoof
01-08-2004, 12:38 AM
If I'd had to make a list of coaches that I thought would never work for Dan Snyder, I gotta say that I would have put Joe Gibbs right alongside Vince Lombardi. I read his book 4th and 1 when it came out about ten years ago, and I thought he had a pretty good understanding of what's important.

I never would have thought he'd agree to work for somebody as bush league as Snyder.

Hell, at least Jerry Jones actually played football in college....

'hoof

Nottom
01-08-2004, 03:00 AM
It would be one thing if Snyder was the owner of the Giants or worse yet the Cowboys, but since he owns the 'Skins I don't see any problem at all with Gibbs going to work for him.

If there is one thing Snyder has going for him, its the fact that he really does want to win. Well that and deep pockets. Hopefully this decision will work out better than some of his previous ones.

Ragnar
01-08-2004, 09:07 AM
I lost all my respect for Gibbs when he hired and kept Tony Stewart as one of his drivers on his NASCAR team. Stewart is a tremendously talented driver, but he is every bit as viciously amoral as any of the worst NBA or NFL stars. So is Gibbs. He'll do fine with Danny Boy. Jack Kent Cooke wasn't exactly a shrinking violet as an owner and Gibbs thrived under him.

Ragnar

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-08-2004, 10:32 AM
he is every bit as viciously amoral

What's this have to do with his ability to drive a race car? Seems Gibbs knows what's important. Winning.

Ragnar
01-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Kurn,

I agree with you. Stewart's actions haven't limited his ability to drive a race car yet. He hasn't been suspended although he has come very close. Gibbs' ability to manage him translates well to the current NFL player.

My point was that the original poster questioned why Gibbs would work for someone as "bush league" as Daniel Snyder. Snyder has money, Gibbs will use it and won't worry about the character of his owner. He could care less about the character of anyone he works with. It should work out well for them.

Ragnar

clovenhoof
01-08-2004, 02:45 PM
The problem isn't Snyder's character; it's his belief that he knows more about football than people who've been coaching since before he was born. He insists on signing players who don't fit into the team's system, or who are well past the point where they are worth what they are being paid. As far as football goes, nobody has any respect for Snyder. So why would a Hall-of-Fame coach put himself in the position of working for a man who today may promise him complete control, but tomorrow may decide that Joe Namath has something left, and go out and burn up $10M of cap space to sign him.

Gibbs does know what it takes to win. Surely, he knows that one of the things that is required is to not be a part of an organization run by a man like Snyder. So what's he doing?

'hoof

Al_Capone_Junior
01-08-2004, 02:58 PM
I have (unfortunately) spent many years as a non-native texas resident. Fortunately, I am just a couple months from being gone forever from this hellhole. I am SO sick of hearing about the damn cowpones.

This was totally true till Parcells showed up. Go Parcells! Only thing that schmuck jones ever did for the cowpones was hire Parcells.

Boy I would hate to have been a cowboy after that fiasco in the wildcard game last weekend....

al

J.R.
01-08-2004, 04:51 PM
So what's he doing?

Saving a franchise he has an emotional and sentimental attachment to. Maybe its just me, but Joe Gibbs is hard working and honest and won't play games. Snyder will respect this man, and let him take care of business. Spurrier didn't work, Marty didn't earn respect.

Joe Gibbs is a God in Washington, someone Snyder followed in past years and worshipped, as did all Skins fans, when he got the job done 3 times with 3 different teams. Snyder won't play games with Joe, because of Joe's credibility and dedication. Snyder will stay out of the way. Snyder had control over his previous coaches, but the legacy and revered status of Gibbs is too much.

Watch Snyder fade away and let the persona of Gibbs become the face of the Redskins. There will be no over-ridding and open second quessing by Snyder, even if Gibbs never acheives a damn thing, becuase of what Gibbs has already acheived. The Skins have the talent to succeed (all they real need is to get Stephen Davis back /images/graemlins/grin.gif), and will porbabaly do so. The Daniel can relax and let the master take over.

You think Jack Kent Cooke didn't have an ego and honestly (although foolishly) believe he knew best? Cooke was meddlesome, yet Joe got it done. The same will hold true here as Gibbs helps the Daniel mature. I'd bet the Daniel will not longer be an embarassment to the league before Gibbs is done, as much as I wish that wasn't the case.