PDA

View Full Version : Quads question

RollaJ
01-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Sorry about another Quads post, as I know they are pointless except for curiosity, since they come up so infrequently.....BUT:

What are the odds of FLOPPING quads?

How much more likely is it to make quads in stud vs. holdem?

Is there a way to figure the chances of making quads and being beaten in holdem?

(please assume seeing a flop with any pair against 9 opponents and I am more interested in quads where you hold a pair)

Thanks

Ps. I dont really need to see all the equations as it is truely lost on me, and almost anyone who does understand it knows how to do it already

TomCollins
01-08-2004, 11:27 PM
There are C(52,5) ways to deal two cards + a flop.
There are 13 different ranks that give quads, plus 39 additional cards that can match each flop.

So this means there are 13*39 combinations that give quads.
507/2,598,960 = 5126:1. This includes hands start with a pair or not.

If you deal your hand in Holdem or Stud, the odds are identical to end with quads after 7 cards. It makes no difference whether you deal the cards up or down to make quads.

The last question a lot more complex, I'll have to work something out.

RollaJ
01-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Wow, so me "flopping quads" twice in 4 hands was rather rare /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Obviously, it doesnt matter if the cards are up or down.... i asked the wrong question. I was really thinking about the chance of getting beat with quads in stud vs the chance in holdem, but thanks a lot for the first response

Lost Wages
01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
I was really thinking about the chance of getting beat with quads in stud vs the chance in holdem

Intuatively it seems obvious that since Hold'em is a community cards game, quads will be beaten more often in Stud. In other words, when you make quads in Hold'em you have significantly reduced the chances of someone making a better hand by tieing up two (or three) of the five board cards.

Lost Wages

RollaJ
01-12-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Intuatively it seems obvious that since Hold'em is a community cards game, quads will be beaten more often in Stud. In other words, when you make quads in Hold'em you have significantly reduced the chances of someone making a better hand by tieing up two (or three) of the five board cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, that is why bad beat jackpots have higher standards for 7cs too

DeucesUp
01-13-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but this is true if neglecting the scenario when the quads are on the board and you're out kicked which will happen (relativley) often in hold'em. Hence the reason bad beat jackpots require both hole cards to be used.