PDA

View Full Version : I got discplined at the table...

Lawrence Ng
01-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I don't know if this post belongs here, but I couldn't find anymore else to put it.

I just got home 15 minutes ago from a local live 10-20 game.

A somewhat tricky/bad semi-over aggressive player - call him Bob sits in the game. He's an action player and brings action to the table.

Anyways, I'm in the BB with Jack-Nine offsuit - suits don't matter here.

Flop comes 9-8-5 rags and I check, while action Bob bets, I call, turn comes a 2, I check, action Bob bets and I call, river pairs the 5 and once more I check again and just call.

Action bob shows King-Seven offsuit for King high and I take the pot down with my top pair.

My post here isn't about how I played the hand. I played it the way I did for reasons of my own so let's not get into that. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

After the hand action Bob - who already doesn't like me, starts giving me a little anger lecture about how I was check calling him with top pair and how I was giving everyone else cheap draws and stating that his King-Seven offsuit is in the 70's percentile ranking. So he's pretty much educating the whole table while he's fuming that I played my hand the way I did and that he had to show down a bluff.

I didn't say anything throughout the whole thing, I just smiled.

Later on, my friend who is sitting next to him is playing lots of hands and he's educating my friend saying that he should raise more often insted of limping.

In my younger playing days, I guess I would've counter-argued with him about why I did what I did and how he was an idiot for educating me and letting the whole table know how bad I played. But I've let me ego pass and the most important thing was I had his chips in front of me.

I think he has something personal against me and I'm wondering how I can use it my advantage... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-07-2004, 09:36 AM
But I've let me ego pass and the most important thing was I had his chips in front of me.

You're already using his attitude to your advantage.

LetsRock
01-07-2004, 10:35 AM
I always say something like:

"I'm sorry to disapoint you"
"I'll try to do better next time coach"

Stuff like this will really steam the maniac coaches at the table - can you say super tilt? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Al Schoonmaker
01-07-2004, 01:23 PM
You have already "cracked the code." Just check call him so he bets your hands for you and then gives you a lecture. People like him HATE to be ignored, and your quiet, courteous manner takes his money, irritates him, preserves your self-respect as a decent person, and does not alienate the rest of the table.

A standard rule of sports applies here: Never change a winning game.

Regards,

Alan

jedi
01-07-2004, 01:40 PM
There's a guy like this at my club too. I got to remember this the next time he shows up.

[ QUOTE ]

"I'll try to do better next time coach"

[/ QUOTE ]

VinnyTheFish
01-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Check-call ... could you or do you ever check-raise/re-raise when you have a strong hand? Nothing fumes a guy like that as much as a player "owning" his bulling tactics.

Obviously, he gives you ill feelings because you do not fold to his banter, bluffing and maniacing.

Here’s a little gig I’ve done in Atlantic City 2/4 games: I was in the same situation. Finally after about I was dealt 3,4 clubs in 1st pos. Now at this table, position was not an issue, raises were not an issue. At anytime, 7-10 people saw the flop. I bet and/or re-raise at every chance. The flop comes out A-2-T rainbow. I drop over $30 on the hand when K,T land. Best of all, I show the “busted str8.” If A-A-A came out, I was in for the ride. I act genuinely crushed that I missed and he feels he stung me out and beat my bluff.

Needless to say, He had to re-buy twice in the next few hours.

I understand that this can backfire. The dude can easily getup and leave. I could have hit a bad run of cards. But I had to let this dude that I was just an idiot, before I proceeded to get all those chips back. I would never do this at a higher limit, except on a holiday weekend.