PDA

View Full Version : Raising for information

jdl22
01-07-2004, 05:12 AM
In these Micro games at Party etc. does anyone raise to gain information? I don't think it does anything. People seem to call with everything from the nuts to absolutely nothing. I'm finding that I get reraised extremely rarely and frequently find out that I was behind when I raised trying to get info and was only called.

crockpot
01-07-2004, 07:24 AM
if you mean should YOU raise to gain information, the answer is rarely. it should only be a side effect of another reason to raise. for example, if your opponent has bet aggressively and you raise with AJ on a J72 flop, you will gain information by whether he reraises or just call, but you are primarily raising because you think you have the best hand.

if the primary reason you raised is "to find out where you're at", you probably made a mistake.

thirddan
01-07-2004, 11:35 PM
At the micro limit tables i don't raise for info, but sometimes it is a side effect of a raise that had another purpose. Mostly i raise for value or for free cards (which are pretty easy to get at most low limit tables)

Gomez22
01-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Raise for info???? Maybe not at these games. Raise to charge draws and make the fish pay for inferior hands? Definately. I don't think raising for info is a very good play until you get to higher low limit stakes, ie: 2/4, 3/6, and above. You also have to remember that when raising for info, the other players have to have some semblance of what they're doing, and why they're doing it. I personally don't think more than 10%-15% of micro-limits at Party know much about hold-em. Most that I've run into don't even know about pot-odds.....

'Mez