PDA

View Full Version : Foolish Omaha8 flop bet?

chesspain
01-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Paradise 1/2 Omaha8; fairly loose-passive table

I'm in EP2, and dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Folded to me and I raise, folded to LP who coldcalls, folded to SB who calls...three to flop for 7SB...

T /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet...and the others fold /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was this a stupid bet, with the nut flush and no fear even if a low forms?

crockpot
01-06-2004, 09:18 PM
this is not a foolish bet. you're only getting action from two pair or better made, or a backdoor low draw. get the maximum if your opponent holds one of those hands.

i don't like this raise preflop. your hand plays well multiway and relatively poorly shorthanded, so let 'em in.

DPCondit
01-06-2004, 10:01 PM
I agree with crockpot, good multi-way hand pre-flop, I would not raise in early position. I have no problem with the flop bet.

Don

Buzz
01-06-2004, 11:54 PM
"Was this a stupid bet, with the nut flush and no fear even if a low forms?"

It's a good bet, almost a mandatory bet.

Why? Because your hand is vulnerable.

If the board pairs on the turn, then your flush isn't the nuts anymore. (But it may still win, so you're probably stuck chasing - not a good place to be). Or, if an ace or a deuce appears on the turn, then you don't have the nut low draw anymore. Or, if low becomes enabled, and you do have a winning low hand, you may have to share it with another winning low hand (quartered or sixthed).

Therefore you bet to protect your hand, not minding if opponents call or not.

All things considered, you should be happy with your small scoop.

Buzz

bigpooch
01-07-2004, 01:35 AM
In a loose passive game, why knock everyone out from early
position before the flop? In my opinion, it seems better
to limp in with a suited A2 in early position and reserve
your raising hands to much bigger hands (typically AA2) that
play well short-handed.

You're correct in betting this almost always. The only
exception is if you think the LP has some larceny or you
have something enormous like top set as well. Since this is
such a low limit game, it can't be wrong to bet every round
since you can't expect to win too much in a limit game if
you don't bet!

El Dukie
01-07-2004, 02:44 AM
At the risk of sounding like an echo chamber, the flop bet is fine. The preflop raise is questionable. Let 'em in with a good multiway hand. Limp-reraise if you get a chance.

TylerD
01-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Far from stupid you should be happy to take the pot down there. You are at risk from someone with a set or two pair filling up (and the remote risk of a straight flush) and also two more low cards and you would be taking 3/4 (or 1/2) instead of all the pot. You also want 2nd or worse nut flushes to be calling you down, so betting out is fine.

PS I would never raise with this hand in early or mid position, has this been said before? /images/graemlins/wink.gif