PDA

View Full Version : Which hands to build pots with preflop in Omaha8 PL/NL?

FatLoser
01-06-2004, 07:15 PM
I occasionally play other games than holdem such as stud and omaha but dont know these games well at all. I'm mostly playing low limits to get some variation from texas. What I have problems with is when it comes to Omaha8. Which hands are good hands to build big pots with preflop a) Against one or few opponents? b) Against several opponents?

Postflop I think I have a decent understanding, problem is getting there.

Anyone?

crockpot
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
there isn't much point to building a pot against few opponents preflop. when you make a big raise expecting only one or two players to call, you generally do it to set up a bluff or semi-bluff bet on the flop, expecting to take down the pot most of the time.

if you do raise to build a pot in a shorthanded situation, it should be with a hand that can win without improvement for high plus a draw at a nut low. AA2x is cliched, of course; a hand like A2KK or A2QQ is also a good candidate. AKQ2 is not bad either, since if two high cards flop you will most likely have a big pair or some kind of draw. however, this hand is not really that strong, so i would only raise if i had good control over my opponents.

if you know the pot is going to be multiway even if you raise, do it with hands that have good scooping or 3/4ing potential. unless you have an AA2x, make sure you have four highly coordinated cards, ones where if you hit help on the board, you will make a monster. a good example is a hand like A236 with a suited ace.

i have some PLO8 strategy on my website if you want to check it out.