PDA

View Full Version : Am I usually behind here?

Ric
01-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Had a good short session today, ended up 13 BB in a little less than an hour, and I only played maybe 6 hands past preflop, including the blinds. Here's one hand that made me think a little, would I be behind most of the time based off this betting pattern?

Party .50/1

Dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB
UTG, EP, MP1 limp, MP2 raises, I call(raise?), BB folds, limpers call

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, EP raises, all fold, I 3-bet, EP calls

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I bet, EP raises, I call

River: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet, EP calls

Stop reading here if you don't want to know what happened.

Results: <font color="white"> MHIG, EP shows K9 /images/graemlins/club.gif </font>

I was thinking that EP hit a boat or trips on the turn based off her action preflop and on the flop. Should I have gone into check/call mode after the turn raise? She would have probably bet the river and I would have won the same amount. I suppose since she didn't cap the flop, that would indicate less than 2 pair? I'm really confused why she played the hand this way. I guessed that I outkicked her, she didn't show her hand.

Either way, I hope that I can have more sessions like the one I just had, I'd like to build up a comfortable bankroll to prevent busting out.

JDErickson
01-06-2004, 06:49 PM
BTF: raise or fold. I would have 3 bet.

Good flop play.

I would have played the turn the same as you. I would have check/called the river. Why did you bet out on the river? That confuses me after you just called the turn raise?

Jim

Ric
01-06-2004, 07:00 PM
I really don't know why I bet the river, I guess I forgot what happened on the turn and fired away. I should have reraised the turn and then bet, or called and check/called. Hopefully I'll stop making those odd plays.

bisonbison
01-06-2004, 07:15 PM
With AKo, raise this everytime. You're forcing people to call 3 cold, so you actually have a decent chance of limiting the number of players you're facing.

With AKs, you could play it either way, though I'd still be more inclined to raise.

On the turn, you have to decide whether you think you're beat or not. If you think you're winning, 3-bet. If you think you're losing, call it down. There's really only two normal preflop raising hands you're behind here (AA, or the unlikely KK), so there's no reason to fold, but the call-bet isn't going to make you money if you're winning or save you money if you're losing.

I think the best play is to 3-bet the turn, call a cap, (bet out on the river if you don't get capped) and hope your opponent doesn't show Aces or Cowboys.

Tosh
01-06-2004, 08:38 PM
3 bet preflop.

Trix
01-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I had 3Bet preflop, flop, turn, bet river, called if he raised...

chesspain
01-06-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With AKo, raise this everytime. You're forcing people to call 3 cold, so you actually have a decent chance of limiting the number of players you're facing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, since he's in the blind, the limpers would only have to call two more cold, which most will anyway.

Consequently, I don't know if I think that only calling is so terrible, since if he gets a nice flop with an A or a K he is in perfect position for a checkraise. If the flop misses him completely, he can check and decide what to do when the action returns to him.

However, I would usually three-bet this, while saving the PF call for a hand like AQ.