PDA

View Full Version : Ante in Home Game

ggriffi
01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I am going to host a NL tourney in a few weeks and I have everything pretty well lined out (buy in, blind structure, time,) the one thing that I am not sure about though is the idea of having ante's in addition to the blinds. My thought is that it will speed up the game. On the other hand, there are going to be some real beginners in the game and I don't want to cause them any more confusion if I don't have to. What are everyone's thoughts about this?

Gary

Lottery Larry
01-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Have the antes in later rounds - $100/200 level?- and you should be okay on both fronts i think

ggriffi
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
My idea was to wait until round 6 blinds would be 75- 150 by then.

VinnyTheFish
01-07-2004, 02:32 PM
In our experience, ante's cause problems. Smaller antes cause delays because players cannot have trouble calculating their ante and blind. i.e 150 SB and 25 ante. A player with only T100 chips left ask the table to color his chips up. It just takes time.

We have come to only ante when the blinds hit 1000. This way the ante is T100 and we kill the T25's and T5's chips.

Also, at home tourn's people are just not tight. They want to gamble, and go all in so much more than at a B&M.

My advice, leave the ante's out this time. If you want to have ante's wait till either the final table for 1000SB.

VinnyTheFish
01-07-2004, 02:32 PM
In our experience, ante's cause problems. Smaller antes cause delays because players cannot have trouble calculating their ante and blind. i.e 150 SB and 25 ante. A player with only T100 chips left ask the table to color his chips up. It just takes time.

We have come to only ante when the blinds hit 1000. This way the ante is T100 and we kill the T25's and T5's chips.

Also, at home tourn's people are just not tight. They want to gamble, and go all in so much more than at a B&M.

My advice, leave the ante's out this time. If you want to have ante's wait till either the final table for 1000SB.

Al_Capone_Junior
01-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Skip the antes. I have done these many times and antes are unneccessary, even amoungst people who are non-amateurs.

this assumes you are playing hold'em or no limit hold'em of course. With stud or draw you need antes.

al