PDA

View Full Version : what's the shortest session you'd play?

ninja please
01-06-2004, 02:56 PM
i was just sitting and wondering what the shortest session people would play, knowing ahead of time you couldn't play any longer. for instance, if you knew you had to leave the house in 45 minutes to pick up the kids or the girlfriend or whatever, but you felt like playing some cards, would you?

the "life's one big session" idea would seem to indicate that no session could be too short, but at the extreme, obviously no-one would routinely and intentionally sit down at a table and play one hand, because you'd forever be in the blind. and even if it is just one big session, there is still something to be said for getting to know the players you happen to be sitting with during this specific moment of your life's session.

so, if you knew ahead of time that you'd have to get up a certain amount of time in the future, how short would that period of time have to be before you'd decide not to play at all? two hours? one hour? half an hour? more, less?

Lost Wages
01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I generally don't bother if it's going to be less than 30 minutes.

Lost Wages

BottlesOf
01-06-2004, 03:09 PM
oh, maybe 15 minutes...20? Enough to get in a game I want to be in and play a full orbit.

scotnt73
01-06-2004, 03:21 PM
i play 30 minutes every morning before work. its a good lesson on discipline for me. its hard when you lose a couple of hands to a moron and cant hang around to break him. its also nice to walk away up a nice litte bit before your day has really begun. i play the same way no matter what(which i should anyway).

Bob T.
01-06-2004, 03:26 PM
One night recently, I was going to play for a little while after work, but I was fairly tired. I posted in the CO, got KQ suited, called a MP raise, and then called a cap when it got back to me. Flop cam KKx Capped on the flop, Two bets on the turn, and one on the river, and I was ahead about $130. Folded one more hand, then my son woke up and needed a diaper change, and I decided that that was enough.

BigBaitsim (milo)
01-06-2004, 03:48 PM
You can find me at the $1/2 6-max tables from 7:05-7:20 most nights. I give the kids a bath, then empty and refill the tub. I stand guard with my tablet PC and play 15 minutes while watching them. I've also been known to "sit down" for an orbit or two in the potty (having small children, it is no longer a crapper). I don't play anything but ultra-low limit for those brief periods, and never imagined getting paid for the latter activity!

Tosh
01-06-2004, 04:03 PM
The shortest session I'll play is probably one full rotation.