PDA

View Full Version : Short-Handed

thomastem
01-06-2004, 10:55 AM
No hand history so I'm sure 35 posts will be telling me and my critters where to go. That said I am not posting this to hurt anyone's feelings, won't mention any names or itchie people.

My statistics are showing that I'm making more critter feed at short-handed tables than full. I play low limit so one of my questions is, if the general competition on short-handed games goes up with the limits similar to full ring? Are there some stereotypical reasons a player may excel short-handed over full?

Now the reason I put this in the SS is because, not only do I want understand why my critters eat better short-handed, but also to understand if there is a different development curve as I move up from small stakes to mid-stakes.

Ok Joe and Rkiray now you can get some ridiculing in for my ss post, but let it be known I'm not picking on anyone so please don't report me to the Mod.

MaxPower
01-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I think you really want us to ridicule you because it validates your self-concept as the maverick, so I won't do that. Wait a minute, I just did.

Anyway, I think there are a number of reasons why you do better shorthanded. You play more hands per hour so your hourly rate will increase. You also benefit more from your opponents mistakes in short handed game because you will be involved in more pots. The mistakes that your opponents make will be costlier.

I'm sure there are some other reasons as well.

37offsuit
01-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Your style of play is most likely better suited to shorthanded play. It may not be that you're playing worse hands in full table games, but perhaps you tend more towards the strongest hands rather than drawing hands. With more people and more people seeing the flop, drawing hands gain value. At smaller tables, you'll get less for your draws when you hit them, so playing big cards, even offsuited ones has an advantage.

If you bet your hands aggressively, you might find short handed games more profitable because you'll steal more often. Since the pots are generally smaller, it becomes less likely that people will call you down often unless they also have a hand. They're not going to chase these smaller pots. With more people, the pots get so big it's worth calling with middle pairs or high cards if it's less likely someone caught or you suspect a bluff because the amount of times you have to be right is much less.

Schneids
01-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Your get more encounters with poor players per hour in a short handed table, because not only are there more hands dealt per hour, but you're playing a higher percent of them. Where as you might only play 20% of hands at a 10 person table, you're playing 30% at SH.

SH also lends itself to giving those with higher poker IQ a tremendous advantage, because much of your additional earn is being able to recognize when mid pair/bottom pair might be good, and being able to feel out your opponents more and inducing a bluff.

thomastem
01-06-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think you really want us to ridicule you because it validates your self-concept as the maverick, so I won't do that. Wait a minute, I just did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a self concept of being a
maverick? Damn I thought my self concept was of being "Big Earl the farmer".

Homer
01-06-2004, 12:01 PM
No hand history so I'm sure 35 posts will be telling me and my critters where to go.

We don't like hand histories here.

My statistics are showing that I'm making more critter feed at short-handed tables than full.

Yeah, maniacs tend to be more successful in shorthanded games.

-- Homer

thomastem
01-06-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No hand history so I'm sure 35 posts will be telling me and my critters where to go.

We don't like hand histories here.

My statistics are showing that I'm making more critter feed at short-handed tables than full.

Yeah, maniacs tend to be more successful in shorthanded games.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

Maniac? You give me too much credit you big flirt. I don't raise A-A pre-flop so on and so forth. Some day I hope to graduate to maniac.