PDA

View Full Version : 2 QUESTIONS

07-04-2002, 07:19 PM
1. Is it generally correct to pump up the pot with a draw if the pot odds are better than what you need to proceed with the draw. For instance, should you checkraise a nut flush draw on the flop with a big pot and lots of people assuming no one will fold to your checkraise? My thinking is since you will always make a profit in this situation, why not amplify that profit - is this thinking correct?

2. Do professional players generally toke just $1 in live games regardless of the pot or limit?

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

07-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Question 1: Yes, this is correct thinking.

You want to get money in when you have a +ev situation, so raising would be correct but making these plays also causes your variance to increase. So you need a bigger bankroll if you are going to press small edges hard.

Also its not as good to make these raises from out of position. One reason its good to raise from late position is if your draw doesnt get there on the turn you can take a free card and if it does get there you can bet again and gain an extra bet. In early position it would be better to bet out on a semi bluff.

Question 2: Most pro's probably only tip 50 cents a pot except for blind/ante steal pots. I play online so I dont have to tip at all /images/smile.gif.

07-05-2002, 01:29 PM
1. It is not the pot odds, it is the number of expected callers vs your draw odds, that makes it right to jam. The pot odds make it right to stay in though.

e.g If the pot were really huge on the turn but one opponent only, you are not going to get into a raising war with your big draw ( except for semi-bluffing purposes )

Your idea of "amplifying the profit" doesn't quite cover this. You can lose money on some of those extra bets even though the over all situation is profitable.

read The Theory of Poker

2. I believe $1 is what the tip will be if tipping were correct. Anyone who constantly tips more is probably fairly live. Not sure how the really big money games work though.

D.