PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed AKo in a big pot

MrG
01-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Party .5/1

I raise UTG with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
EP, MP, LP, CO poster, and both blinds call.
Seven to the flop.

FLOP: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Blinds check to me, I bet, all call.

Turn:
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Blinds check, I bet, we lose CO and SB, the rest call.

On the turn I normally would check this and fold to a bet but the pot is big and fairly uncoordinated. If someone had 78 I should have heard about it by now so I bet. My reasons were 1)big pot 2)still have six outs that are likely good.

River: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Okay, now bet or check? It is checked to me, I check thinking only a better hand (A6, A9, A5) calls me or worse I get raised and have to call two BB's.
EP bets, MP calls, and I call.

EP K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MP 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MHIG

Major Kong's excellent post has been rolling around in my head but feel like this may be a case where I misused his advice. Yes, the pot was big, but I think my turn and river decisions are questionable, comments appreciated. Thanks- MrG

ramjam
01-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Hi MrG

I would check the turn hoping for a free card from this phalanx of calling stations.

I might bet the river or I might check - not just for the reasons you gave but also hoping for someone to bet out/bluff with an inferior hand and collect maybe an additional overcall to what I might get myself. Hell, I might even consider a check-raise here if EP bet and everybody else folded.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I check thinking only a better hand (A6, A9, A5) calls me

[/ QUOTE ]

I know an ace on the end is pretty scary for everybody else but I think this type of thought will cost you a fair amount of money in the long term. Look again at the type of hands your opponents bet/called with on the river here and in other hands.

Ed Miller
01-06-2004, 08:54 AM
It is checked to me, I check thinking only a better hand (A6, A9, A5) calls me...

Are you serious? You actually think you will only be called by someone with two pair? JT is folding for one bet? Q9 is folding?

It's funny how people seem to think that everyone is going to call when they are weak, but fold when they are strong. They freak out about how everyone is going to call and "suck out" on them when they have a mediocre hand, but as soon as the set gets flopped, it's time to tread real softly because if you sneeze everyone will fold.

These guys call and call and CALL. That's what they do. If you want to beat them, you have to bet when you make the boss hand.