PDA

View Full Version : Hubris

andyfox
01-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Charles Krauthammer has an article in the current issue of Time called “A Farewell to Allies.” There are some thoughts in the article which clarify my fears about the attitudes of those currently in power and why those attitudes may lead to disaster.

Krauthammer (hereafter “K”) says that without the American colossus (his words), the sinews of stability would not exist. The world would collapse into chaos and “worse.” Treaties, protocols and prohibitions (on carbon emissions, land mines and nuclear testing) tie us down. We must carry on alone in our mission to right the world’s wrongs.

K says, rightly I think, that the Bush administration is contemptuous of such constraints on its power. It will take on the axis of evil one by one, alone if necessary. “With a few trusted friends, America must carry on alone.” [sic]

This mission, this feeling that we are the indispensable country (enunciated in just those words by Madelaine Albright when she was Secretary of State) can only lead to disaster. It is the same attitude that got us into so much trouble in the early Cold War. A disastrous war in Korea; a much more disastrous war in Vietnam; secret interventions in all corners of the globe that resulted in untold horrors for millions of people. In far too many instances, we lost sight of our principles, sullying the great good that we did with the stain of counterbalancing evil.

A great country doesn’t assume it knows what’s best and therefore must have a say in every corner of the globe. Note that K says we will take on the axis of evil one by one. So he expects, and I again agree with him, further preemptive wars against Iran and North Korea. There are certainly areas where the United States must be proactive; after all, we were indeed attacked. But we risk once again sullying our good deeds with our bad ones. The attitude that we are indispensable to the proper functioning of the world will inevitably lead to overextension of our resources (which K also points up) and to making mistakes born of the insistence that we know what’s best in every instance, for example, that our enemies are simply barbarians (K’s word) and have no rational basis for being our enemies. It is not an attitude that lends itself to discretion, good judgment, or wisdom in the conduct of foreign policy.

HDPM
01-06-2004, 01:20 AM
His position is an oversimplification of course. I think we need to be willing to act unilaterally in certain situations. OTOH, it is a lot harder to go it alone all the time. And we don't have to right every wrong. Our goal should not be to fix the whole world, but to manage our affairs so the world and our position in it works to our advantage to the extent possible. And if we can fix some things along the way, great. So somewhere in between K and Madelaine Albright running after Arafat begging him is probably the right course. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Check yer e-mail BTW since you don't take PMs

andyfox
01-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Due to an odd set of circumstances, I can't pick up my email until at least Thursday.

Try this one, if you will:

andyfoxfc@hotmail.com

Thanks.

HDPM
01-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Done.

MMMMMM
01-06-2004, 11:41 AM
What is important is to differentiate properly and analyze well.

Some of the examples you cite were not hubris, they were more like ham-handed attempts to counter the expansionist designs of the Soviet Union.

Hubris can be a dangerous attitude, but so too can ignoring facts which mean that action should be taken (for fear of hubris). It's a delicate balancing act (and IMO getting rid of the totalitarian governments in Iran and DPRK, if possible without too much loss of life, would be a fine thing indeed, and NOT an example of hubris).

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can't be right just because many who thought themselves right were wrong and full of hubris.