PDA

View Full Version : What does he think I hold?

citanul
01-06-2004, 12:41 AM
So I'm playing in a relatively normal low limit Party game.
It's only relatively normal because I've found myself in a 2/4 game that has another decent player in it.

In one hand, I am on the button and the other player is UTG.

I've seen him sitting for about 50 hands now, and he's quite tight and seems to flip flop between aggressive and medium passive. But in general, pretty good raising standards.

I'm what I'd guess is too tight most of the time, and lacking some aggression, but beating these 2/4 and 3/6 games hasn't been much of a problem. He's seen me play only premium hands to this point as well.

Anyway, on to the hand.

He raises UTG, and it's folded to me, and I 3 bet. Blinds fold, he caps, I call.

Now, my question is 2-fold.

1) If now given the piece of information that he has KK, how many hands can he put me on?

I think I'm usually 3 betting on the button here with AA, AK, QQ, KK, JJ, TT, AQs, maybe AQo and maybe 99. I'm not sure about AQo with a player who's been very tight, and 99 I'm just not sure about period, I play that hand wrong constantly.

Now, If he's got KK, I think he can pretty safely assume I don't have KK, and most likely not AK. If he assumes medium correctly I'm not doing this with AQo or 99, that leaves us with AA, QQ, AQs, JJ, TT.

So, In our hand in particular, the flop comes QQT. meaning he's dominated by AA, QQ, AQs, and TT (or even AQo) and dominating JJ (or even AK, or 99). It seems to me that if he has a decent read on me here, he should be losing very very few bets.

So the second part of the question I guess is:
2) What should the action in this hand look like?

In this hand, it went bet, raise, call. check bet call. check bet call.

I'm never exactly sure what to do with Quads, but I can't but help feel that I could have called the flop and raised the turn, catching an extra bet. It's very possible I guess that he could fold the turn to a raise, but who knows, or he could just check call the turn and river after I call, costing me a small bet.

Comments on my thinking please?

citanul

Joe Tall
01-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I think you played it fine.

If you call such a flop, you will get checked to on the turn also, so you may have gotten that extra .5 bet as flopping quads is so rare.

Welcome to the fourm,
Joe Tall

LetsRock
01-06-2004, 01:56 PM
You rarely can put anyone on a specific hand, and is pretty dangerous to try to do so. All you can, and should do is put someone on a range of hands and hope to define it as the hand plays out.

When you raised him on the flop, it was clear he was worried about at least one queen, but he was gonna see it. If I have someone betting in front of me, and I flop quads, I'm going to let him drive as long as he wants. I would just call the flop. Call/bet the turn and then apply the screws to the river. I'd make sure there was a bet on every street but not push it until the end. You're likely to get a call on the river raise, so you'll get one more 1/2 bet out of him if he continues to bet. Either way you're only going to get a difference of 1/2 bet either way if he's a reasonably solid player.