PDA

View Full Version : Online Timing Tells???

Redhotman
01-06-2004, 12:30 AM
I have to be honest here. I seem to have a great ability to read players by their timing. A couple of times I have even surprised myself.

Example: 6 people see flop
it comes Q 8 8
checked around

turn T

sb takes just a little to long. longer than he normaly does, and I CAN feel him thinking.
someone bets, I call, he calls.

river 3

he checks quickly. someone bets I fold KNOWING he is about to reraise with trips.

He does, and I was right.

This is weird. Is it intuition? Am I pyschic? This isnt the first time this has happened. I think I can sense the extra pause of deciding to slowplay, and it shows up.

Paul2432
01-06-2004, 01:16 AM
I pause on-line all the time for reasons that have nothing to do with my hand, such as I am playing two tables, reading 2+2, etc.

Paul

1800GAMBLER
01-06-2004, 01:54 AM
You are the one. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SacraVia
01-06-2004, 01:59 AM
I even do it on purpose in case, which rarely happens, the person is that observant. Betting pattern is the largest tell out there... most players on PP are incredibly predictable.

Including myself... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gavrilo
01-06-2004, 06:07 AM
I know what you mean, happens to me from time to time.
I just wouldn't start relying on this 100%

eMarkM
01-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, probably the best tell there is online aside from betting patterns. I've seen that same "thinking" long pause of a slowplayer in the situation you describe. Another variation is the long pause when faced with a big bet. That means a close decision. Also can mean talking to the wife, playing another game, surfing the net, but you can tell the difference since the former happens when there's a lot of chips in the middle and the player is facing a big bet.

The other one is the "check/fold button is clicked" tell. You know this person will fold to a bet after he checks instantaneously in multiway pots.

Since the long pause and the no pause are pretty good tells, they're also ones that can be used as a reverse tell. Long pause facing a big bet when you hold the nuts, then reluctantly call and induce another bet on the river. Check the "check" box when you hold a set or big hand to mimic that you've hit "check/fold". Then unleash the big check-raise.