PDA

View Full Version : Call then Re-Raise??

Soupy12
01-05-2004, 09:03 PM
I have a general strategy question, regarding a situation I have come across incresingly more often.

First I will let you know that I began reading up on poker about a year before my 18th b-day and started playing in cardrooms, and online as soon as legally possible. I've been playing for almost 2 years now, so I am very much still a newbie. I play online probably on average 3-4 hours a day....(I know it's sad) playing in micro to low limits and small buy-in tourneys. (Being a poor college student it's hard to start up a decent sized bankroll.) I started out as a stud player but have begun to play some Hold'em. I know I'm not a great player but I certainly can hold my own, and feel that I am generally better than or comparable to the players that I play with online. I have recently come across a situation in both Hold'em and stud that I don't quite understand the strategy behind.

Player 'A' in early position in either game will call the big blind or a bring-in. Player 'B' in middle or even late position will raise. Then Player 'A' will re-raise. I've never seen this done in live play, only on-online. I don't know if I've somehow missed some information in the books I've read about doing this call-raise action, or if it's just some kind of random beginner action.

mmanne
01-05-2004, 09:30 PM
There are a couple of situations for the "limp-raise" as its known. The first, and most common is to use this play with a big pair, usually KK or AA. It's done if you are in early position and believe that someone else will raise for you. Then you can re-raise the table and get a ton of money in the pot with your best hand.
The other time I've seen it used is with a great multi-way hand, like KQs. If you are UTG and have KQs, sometimes it's better to limp in and then re-raise the table if you get enough callers and someone else raises.
There are probably other times to use it that more experienced players can tell you about, but those are the two that I know.

Paul2432
01-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Another use of the limp-reraise is to get the action heads up against the raiser. For example, suppose in a loose game you limp in hold'em in early position with 99, get two callers and a late position player raises and its folded to you. A three bet here will often get you heads up with the raiser and let you take control of the hand. This is a good play against players who like to raise on the button with a wide range of hands.

Paul