PDA

View Full Version : Raise flush at turn or river?

toby
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Here is the hand history from .5/1 PP. I only called the turn bet expecting the turn bettor to bet again so I could raise him. My question is, should I simply have raised the turn instead?

**** Hand History for Game 317714296 *****
Table Card Room Table 3961 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: NachoNuts ( $24 )
Seat 3: oystermann ( $2.25 )
Seat 5: superc09 ( $53.5 )
Seat 6: urazizmyn ( $33.25 )
Seat 7: GaStu ( $37 )
Seat 8: dwm45 ( $21 )
Seat 10: FatalRaise ( $28 )
Seat 4: tobym06 ( $18.25 )
Seat 1: Twizzler1929 ( $45 )
Seat 9: downem ( $30.5 )
GaStu posts small blind [$0.25].
dwm45 posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to tobym06 [ K /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
downem calls [$0.5].
FatalRaise calls [$0.5].
Twizzler1929 folds.
NachoNuts folds.
oystermann folds.
tobym06 raises [$1].
superc09 folds.
urazizmyn folds.
GaStu calls [$0.75].
dwm45 calls [$0.5].
downem calls [$0.5].
FatalRaise calls [$0.5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
GaStu bets [$0.5].
dwm45 folds.
downem raises [$1].
FatalRaise calls [$1].
tobym06 calls [$1].
GaStu calls [$0.5].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
GaStu checks.
downem bets [$1].
FatalRaise calls [$1].
tobym06 calls [$1].
GaStu calls [$1].
** Dealing River ** [ 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
GaStu checks.
downem checks.
FatalRaise checks.
tobym06 bets [$1].
GaStu calls [$1].
downem folds.
FatalRaise calls [$1].
tobym06 shows a flush, ace high.
GaStu doesn't show.
FatalRaise doesn't show.
tobym06 wins $15.25 from the main pot with a flush, ace high.

Jezebel
01-05-2004, 03:45 PM
I would definetly raise the turn. All of your opponents have already invested one bet on the turn and will call one more the majority of the time. Waiting for the river is a mistake. If they miss their draw they won't call a single bet on the river. Also another heart will likely kill all of your action. Not to mentioned charging two pair more to draw out on you.

spamuell
01-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Don't post hand histories - please take the time to write the hand out making it easier to read, if you expect other people to take the time to reply.

Here, raise the flop - hopefully the people behind you will call and you'll be raising for value, but even if they don't it's still a value bet (because you're 1.86:1 to make your flush and with the 2 people before you, for every bet you put in you are getting 2:1). Any A or K is probably an out as well, you are a huge favourite to win this pot. Your raising the flop does not reveal the strength of your hand - you raised pre-flop, people expect you to raise the flop.

Raise the turn - you will get calls from all the people who are drawing (to a straight or whatever), who won't call if they miss their draw on the river. Also you might get 3-bet and then you get more bets in on the turn and river. Also people are more inclined to call on the river with worse hands (at low limits) if they have put in more bets.