PDA

View Full Version : new laptop

MicroBob
01-05-2004, 02:16 PM
ok...so i'm in the market for a new laptop to be used primarily for online play.
looking for the best combination of price and performance (isn't everyone??).
will be getting that fancy new wi-fi thing too so i can make my bucks outside the house.

looks like 15" is about the max screen size for most notebooks which i think should be workable.

i'm not terribly computer saavy so any tech-geeks out there please use small words.
if anyone has any recommendations that would be dandy.

SamJack
01-05-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
looking for the best combination of price and performance

[/ QUOTE ]

If online poker play is your primary use. There is no reason to go for the top of the line in terms of performance. On-line poker playing requires very little computing power or memory for that matter. Activities that will require lots of computing power are:

1. 3D rendering. Many PC games.
2. Graphic manipulation. Photoshop.
3. Software development. (compilation, etc)

You should consider hard disk space. If you plan on storing viewing a lot multimedia content. music, video, etc.

My recommendation. Don't go for the top of the line performance, it will be a waste if you are using your laptop for on line poker mostly.

[ QUOTE ]
will be getting that fancy new wi-fi thing

[/ QUOTE ]

If you plan on being wi-fi enabled in your house. YOu will need to purchase a wi-fi enabled router. (~$100) and a wi-fi card for you laptop (~$60). Some newer and fancier laptops will have built in wi-fi so you won't need to buy a card.

If you plan on being wi-fi using 'hotspot' (Starbucks and Border bookstores) you will need to purchase an access plan from T-Mobile.

[ QUOTE ]
looks like 15" is about the max screen size for most notebooks which i think should be workable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the most important part. The screen size in inches are not so important. What is important is the resolution of the screen. If you plan on playing multiple tables. You will want at least (1400X1050). Keep in mind that most laptops have 1280X1024 or 1024X768. It will be worthwhile to spend some money for the resolution you need.

Thanks,

Sam

MicroBob
01-05-2004, 03:26 PM
thanks for the solid info.

"If you plan on being wi-fi using 'hotspot' (Starbucks and Border bookstores) you will need to purchase an access plan from T-Mobile."

for some reason i thought home and starbucks wireless were one and the same.

didnt know an extra plan had to be purchased. was talking with a guy i know while staying at a 4-star hotel. evidently wi-fi access is pretty common at the nicer hotels in the bigger cities. he was surfing the net in the lobby (on a Tex Ins. something or other) and he did not mention an extra purchase plan...just implied that with the wi-fi card thing for $50-$60 you're good to go.

i am reluctant to get it set up in my place for fear of having the guy setting it up discovering i am getting cable-tv for free (set up a couple residents before me). not sure whether this is a realistic concern but i am content with dial-up in my home for the time-being partly for this reason.
would be nice to hit the starbucks around the block with it though.

SamJack
01-05-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
didnt know an extra plan had to be purchased. was talking with a guy i know while staying at a 4-star hotel. evidently wi-fi access is pretty common at the nicer hotels in the bigger cities. he was surfing the net in the lobby (on a Tex Ins. something or other) and he did not mention an extra purchase plan...just implied that with the wi-fi card thing for $50-$60 you're good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is true that there are many wi-fi access points that are free. e.g. hotels, some airports etc. The ones that I find convenient and nearby usually are not free. Starbucks for instance. T-Moble in conjuction with Starbuck and Borders Bookstore have set up wi-fi access. To get access in those sotores you will need to pay.

the access is 19.99 for/mo if you have a cell phone w/ them already otherwise 29.99. Or you can purchase daily acess at some cost (something like 4.99 or 9.99). Their website has all the info.

[ QUOTE ]
i am reluctant to get it set up in my place for fear of having the guy setting it up discovering i am getting cable-tv for free (set up a couple residents before me). not sure whether this is a realistic concern but i am content with dial-up in my home for the time-being partly for this reason.
would be nice to hit the starbucks around the block with it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have access through internet via your cable co?

If yes, you already have it making it wi-fi within your house will not effect anything.

If no, you will need to contact your cable company to get high speed internet through them. This may cause your cable company to notice that you have free cable.

I have internet access using DSL. not Cable. You might want to consider that.

Sam

pc in NM
01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
I have a Dell 15" with Centrino technology (wireless), and find that it works fine for online games and wireless.

I have a wireless router, so I can play online in my living room or elsewhere, which is really convenient. Be sure to get one with adequate security, or you'll become a wireless hotspot for your neighborhood... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

In many cities it is possible to find free wireless access points, and Intel has a website to help locate them - http://intel.jiwire.com/

You can also get a wireless locator by Kensington that will enable you to determine if a hotspot is operating without having to start up your computer.

In New Mexico, there are not a lot of hotspots, especially outside of Albuquerque and Santa Fe, so your location will make a difference.

Also, I had a desktop that had a lot of difficulty with the graphics at Paradise - I had to turn off some of the options to see the table properly. The problem was the video card, and those can be hard to replace on some older computers - I eventually upgraded to a new computer. A standard word to the wise when purchasing a new computer is to "buy ahead", because the ongoing developments in technology will sooner or later leave you behind....

pc in NM
01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Happened to run across this informative article while blogging today. I recommend it if you choose to get a wireless router for home use....

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/w/wireless-security-howto/home-802.11b-1.html

MicroBob
01-06-2004, 03:51 AM
thanks for the centrino-link...very helpful stuff.

strangely, starbucks is not listed..
the borders is indeed listed as a pay-site, but it appears there is not a shortage of free-spots in the major cities.

there are a couple in memphis that should work just fine for me. nice to potentially play internet-poker out of the abode every once in awhile just for a change of scene....especially considering the increase in hours played i am hoping for this year.

i will likely just keep my dial-up at this apartment for now because the speed is borderline tolerable and i dont feel like setting anything else up here considering i will likely be moving in a few months.

so it will probably be dial-up at home with the occasional wi-fi venture elsewhere.

looking into the dell-inspirons....but probably not the newest of the models....i can't see spending $2k when i can get something adequate, but potentially clunkier, for $800. but, as recommended, i will look into screen resolution as well.

the info is greatly appreciated.

Cyndie
01-06-2004, 03:56 AM
fujitsu has a great screen with a radeon 64 meg dedicated video card. It was in the range of 1700 with dvd burner and 60 gig hard drive and wireless built in, but that was several months ago. A friend got a Dell or Gateway in the $800 plus shipping area and it isn't as good a screen, but he likes it better than his desktop monitor.

As far as I am concerned it is the difference between newsprint and a photograph.

SamJack
01-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Couple of info.

I Had mentioned that you'd probably want 1400X1050 as resolution if you want to play multiple tables.

That resolution is often described as, SXGA+

UXGA = 1600X1200
SXGA+ = 1400X1050
SXGA = 1280X1024
XGA = 1024X768

Also, consider the the processor type, not so much for raw speed but for battery life.

Pentium 4 - bad battery life. Least expensive
Pentium 4M - better battery life. More expensive
Pentim M - best betterry life. Most expensive

Many laptops have 'bays' where you can plug in CD/DVD or other accessories. consider getting a second battery for the bay. Most of the time, you don't need the CD/DVD in there. I mostly have the second bettery in the bay. Gives me almost 7 hours of battery life.

Sam