PDA

View Full Version : River play

Ward
01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
2-4 B&M with 8 players. I am 2 from the cut off with AKd. MP bets, next player calls, I raise and cutoff call and the blinds call the raise along with the rest.

Flop 8s,10c,As

It is checked to me and i bet. The cutoff calls and first MP calls everyone else folds.

Turn 2d

Checked to me and i bet with 2 callers.

River Ah

Now the MP bets. He has been playing any two high cards, any suited cards and any ace. If i just call it is almost certain that the cutoff will call. He has yet to give up on any hand that has given him a piece of the flop.

What is my play with trip aces? Raise or call.

Ward
01-05-2004, 02:10 PM
I just called and the cut off called as i exspected. MP showed A-5 off and cut off mucked. I felt that if i raise that the cut off would fold and that MP would call but if he had the house i would be calling a reraise.

el_grande
01-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I would raise. Unless MP is very passive, he would have raised the flop or the turn with AT. There's almost no way he has it. Since he bet out on the river, he's not going to fold to a raise. Add that to the fact that people play any ace and you have to really like AK. Hard to know what the CO will do since he has just been calling.

PS. Wait a while before posting results, you'll get more responses.

BigBaitsim (milo)
01-05-2004, 02:54 PM
RAISE! Sounds like MP will call your raise, even if the CO doesn't.

Tosh
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Raise. This is not a place to be going for overcalls.

MikeyObviously
01-05-2004, 10:28 PM
You HAVE to RAISE.

count the river bets collected doing each:

calling - MP: 1 cutoff: 1
the cutoff will almost certainly just call ending the round of betting
raising - MP: 2+ cutoff: ?
the cutoff COULD potentally call two cold if he's a real idiot, and it sounds like he might be...plus MP could reraise here too, and you are 100 percent the winnner. MP was calling you down with a shitty ace...simple as that.

bunky9590
01-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Forget going for the overcall, Raise raise raise!!!
Turbo raise that hand. Now if there were 5 players to act behind you maybe, I go for the overcall.

onegymrat
01-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi Ward,

Welcome to the forum.
[ QUOTE ]
If i just call it is almost certain that the cutoff will call.

[/ QUOTE ]You won't lose money by raising the CO. If he folds and MP calls, there are two bets to win in the pot. If you only call, and CO calls, there are still two bets to win in the pot. The advantage of raising is that MP may be stupid enough to call your raise, hence, putting four bets to win in the pot.

Don't worry about MP haven't a boat, you would of heard about it on the turn. Good luck and stop leaving money on the table.

Bob T.
01-06-2004, 01:43 AM
I suspect that the MP has a weaker ace, and is concerned that you might check your KK through now, I would raise, and hope that the CO still calls.