PDA

View Full Version : Around the sites - December

Lori
01-05-2004, 01:18 PM
The Big Four

Party

Party continues to just grow and grow despite the many issues that people have with the site.

At the beginning of the month, the site couldn't even remain in working order for any given 24 hour period, although now that seems to have been replaced with hideous lags from time to time.

All-in abuse and stalling are still rampant, both are things the site could easily address and just haven't bothered to, although the hand for hand in the PPM has started well in advance of the paying slots, which can only be a good thing.

The Lucy Jones bonanza was an incredible success, this can be seen from the number of raked hands required to get in the 30k freeroll this time.
(Also if anyone tried to get the $20, it was actually a chore rather than a doddle this time)

SNG's at peak times remain a nightmare to enter, especially from the 'computer' that is Lori's PC. All they need to do is either insert waiting lists, or simply open more than one table at once when numbers hit a certain limit.

The animal that is Party support however, is simply too much trouble to bother teaching these things to.

Pokerstars

Stars are the big losers this month.

By losers, I mean that their market share has remained pretty much constant while all other sites have gone up.

In my opinion they have lacked a decent promotion (Central Coin is just not big enough yet to be of interest to the masses).

On the software front, their new tourney lobby stats are really good, it will be interesting to see just how much they can improve now they have some serious competition to worry about.

The most interesting thing on Stars last month was the following hand, which led to me having one of my worst ever replies from their usually great support staff. (Basically I was told that they already knew about the incident and the implication was that I shouldn't have bothered to let them know, it was all cleared up after a mighty sulk on my part)

>> >>PokerStars Game #142946278: Hold'em No Limit ($3/$6) - 2003/10/11 -
>> >>21:24:23 (ET)
>> >>Table 'Proteus' Seat #2 is the button
>> >>Seat 1: B Buddy ($751.95 in chips)
>> >>Seat 2: Johnster ($561.90 in chips)
>> >>Seat 3: Samourai ($711.80 in chips)
>> >>Seat 4: pat_c ($621.95 in chips)
>> >>Seat 5: Ector ($1719 in chips)
>> >>Seat 6: AmFghtngHero ($779.20 in chips)
>> >>Seat 7: NoHandNoDraw ($1996.25 in chips)
>> >>Seat 8: NOBODY CARES ($147 in chips)
>> >>Seat 9: DaBrain ($1090.45 in chips)
>> >>Samourai: posts small blind $3
>> >>pat_c: posts big blind $6
>> >>*** HOLE CARDS ***
>> >>Ector: raises $1713 to $1719 and is all-in
>> >>AmFghtngHero: folds
>> >>NoHandNoDraw: calls $1719
>> >>NOBODY CARES: folds
>> >>DaBrain: folds
>> >>DaBrain said, "uh oh"
>> >>B Buddy: folds
>> >>Johnster: folds
>> >>Samourai: folds
>> >>pat_c: folds
>> >>*** FLOP *** [9d 7d 6c]
>> >>pat_c said, "wtf"
>> >>B Buddy said, "wow"
>> >>Ector said, "AA"
>> >>*** TURN *** [9d 7d 6c] [9s]
>> >>*** RIVER *** [9d 7d 6c 9s] [Kh]
>> >>B Buddy said, "72"
>> >>*** SHOW DOWN ***
>> >>Ector: shows [As Ah] (two pair, Aces and Nines)
>> >>NoHandNoDraw: shows [8s 5s] (a straight, Five to Nine)
>> >>NoHandNoDraw collected $3444 from pot
>> >>*** SUMMARY ***
>> >>Total pot $3447 | Rake $3
>> >>Board [9d 7d 6c 9s Kh]
>> >>Seat 1: B Buddy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 2: Johnster (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 3: Samourai (small blind) folded before Flop
>> >>Seat 4: pat_c (big blind) folded before Flop
>> >>Seat 5: Ector showed [As Ah] and lost with two pair, Aces and Nines
>> >>Seat 6: AmFghtngHero folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 7: NoHandNoDraw showed [8s 5s] and won ($3444) with a straight,
>>Five
>> >>to Nine
>> >>Seat 8: NOBODY CARES folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 9: DaBrain folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Also this month, Stars began rebuy tourneys.

Ultimatebet

Ultimate is now the fastest site online and has boosted figures this month with no less than THREE deposit bonuses. (One of which was Jan 1st, I'm not going to split hairs, this is written after that so it counts as December)
After some amusement at the points bug (where in 10/25 points games, you earned points as if the game was 10/25 NL and could almost make a profit by not playing a hand) the new software has generated very mixed opinions.

I like the new colors, although am struggling with the layout, whilst the majority have said exactly the opposite.

The one thing that is not in much doubt is the improved Jackpot structure, although when challenged as to how exactly their claim of $570 every 90 mins could be substantiated, the email fell on what is now becoming ever increasingly deaf ears.

The stone cold nuts next weekend appears to be on target to break most online records.

A good and promising month from Ultimate, who are clearly willing to put up a fight for new customers.

Paradise

Paradise had an amazing month by finally releasing their Multi table tourneys.

The tournaments are very sleek indeed with some well thought out ideas, notably different level times for different buyin amounts, and a good mix of tournament games and buyins to choose from.

However, there are still problems.
The levels are badly designed, as are the 1k chips.

All-in abuse is just starting to get big at the site too.

However, the single worst thing they have done, is that the announce the prize pool as it would be BEFORE they take their 9%, but if you add up the prizes, there is 9% missing from the kitty.
My email has been forwarded to management for review....

The 20k guarantee tourney is finally starting to get less players, but it is still attracting well over 1000 a day.

%age wise, Paradise was the month's big winner, mostly at the expense of Stars.

Other sites

Prima

Prima had a good month, with TGC's second OIC.

However their WSOP qualifier was a public relations disaster, with two levels of increases between big blinds for most people turning the game into a shootout.

There are still also a high number of complaints from suspended accounts. People should make of that what they will, there could be a high number of cheats that Prima are actively catching, or there could be someone in the office who is a little trigger happy.

True

True are gearing up for what promises to be a good WSOP promotion, I think this will fall into the January category though.

Dynamite

The Dynamite deposit bonus appears to have boosted the site considerably.

Sorry to those sites I have missed out, I'll try to do this monthly, but please don't hold me to anything, I'm rather busy and lazy right now.

Lori

Edit: I misused the term market share in this post, it should read number of customers.

MicroBob
01-05-2004, 01:35 PM
terrific reviews lori. great info.

however, you did happen to neglect the major-news this month... that being the party rake-increase as well as their new policy creating difficulty when trying to join their skins if you already have a party acct.

i'm also a bit curious as to the details behind the posted all-in hand.

Abe
01-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Lori. Some new info and also confirms some of what I saw too.

Hope you do this every month or so.

Whats a "doddle" ?

Lori
01-05-2004, 01:39 PM
however, you did happen to neglect the major-news this month... that being the party rake-increase as well as their new policy creating difficulty when trying to join their skins if you already have a party acct

You are correct.

The posted hand occured a long time before December, but their was a fuss about it on another forum and I only heard about it last month.(I was sent the hand number, not the forum info)

I'll try to do a more accurate job of the major events next month.

Lori

Vehn
01-05-2004, 01:44 PM
I will just add something quick regarding party. Last night's PPM semi was the first MTT I have played on party and I was expecting the worst. I came out pleasantly surprised. At my table at least, there was virtually no stalling as we got near the end and the hand for hand came in at just the right time. The only all in I saw was what looked like a legitimate disconnect from someone in the SB with a garbage hand and plenty of chips. Obviously I hate to praise party but it went pretty well from my perspective, other than them not giving me a club. If they had a time bank system (and their servers weren't powered by hampsters on wheels) their MTTs could compete with stars.

Simon Diamond
01-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Whats a "doddle" ?

English slang, usually referring to a task that is easy to do.

Simon

csuf_gambler
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM
ultimate is the best, hands down, no one is even in the same league as these guys

Sarge85
01-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I was familiar with all the sites, except Dynamite Poker. I went to their website and poke around their bonus....20% up to $60...

Anyone have any other information as far as how the site is with cashouts, security, etc...

TimTimSalabim
01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I would like to add that Planet Poker continues to amuse me with their sound effects triggered by chat. What other site can you type in LOL and hear a cackle of laughter or TYVM and hear an Elvis impersonation? Ok, so I'm easily amused. It does help to break up the online monotony though.

34TheTruth34
01-05-2004, 06:19 PM
I must be retarded or something, but I looked over the hand history that you posted a couple of times and I still don't get it. what happened exactly?

Cyndie
01-05-2004, 06:22 PM
I haven't played at TNT, or dynamite, but have heard relatively good things about the site and customer support, except that they kept a player's funds for going dormant over six months, I believe...and made him re-earn his own money somehow.

Check with the Victory Poker group of low limit players.

csuf_gambler
01-05-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must be retarded or something, but I looked over the hand history that you posted a couple of times and I still don't get it. what happened exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh the guy went all in with 8,5 and made a straight

TruePoker CEO
01-05-2004, 06:40 PM

Brian
01-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Hey Lori,

Could you go into more detail about that AA vs 85s all-in hand? Or did I miss a thread about it? Are you the one who had AA?

-Brian

Inthacup
01-05-2004, 06:49 PM
what happened exactly?

A guy called an $1700 all in bet *FOR REAL MONEY* with 85s at 3-6 NL.

lunchmeat
01-05-2004, 07:44 PM
I agree as far as software and reloads are concerned... but their customer service is awful, and the games are tougher than most sites.

CrackerZack
01-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Its doubly baffling. Who would really move all-in with that much at that level?

TimTimSalabim
01-05-2004, 08:41 PM
I have come up with a universal explanation for these online poker mysteries: the party in question's cat, mistaking a computer mouse for a real one, pounced on it while the cursor was hovered over the Call button.

pc in NM
01-05-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its doubly baffling. Who would really move all-in with that much at that level?

[/ QUOTE ]

A drunk who thought he/she had 88 or 55?

Of course, the suited part must have caused a little confusion - maybe he/she read that as a "omen"....

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

34TheTruth34
01-05-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A guy called an $1700 all in bet *FOR REAL MONEY* with 85s at 3-6 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but does Lori suspect something was fishy? Or was her "sulking" just about being pissed??

Redhotman
01-05-2004, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Big Four

Party

Party continues to just grow and grow despite the many issues that people have with the site.

At the beginning of the month, the site couldn't even remain in working order for any given 24 hour period, although now that seems to have been replaced with hideous lags from time to time.

All-in abuse and stalling are still rampant, both are things the site could easily address and just haven't bothered to, although the hand for hand in the PPM has started well in advance of the paying slots, which can only be a good thing.

The Lucy Jones bonanza was an incredible success, this can be seen from the number of raked hands required to get in the 30k freeroll this time.
(Also if anyone tried to get the $20, it was actually a chore rather than a doddle this time)

SNG's at peak times remain a nightmare to enter, especially from the 'computer' that is Lori's PC. All they need to do is either insert waiting lists, or simply open more than one table at once when numbers hit a certain limit.

The animal that is Party support however, is simply too much trouble to bother teaching these things to.

Pokerstars

Stars are the big losers this month.

By losers, I mean that their market share has remained pretty much constant while all other sites have gone up.

In my opinion they have lacked a decent promotion (Central Coin is just not big enough yet to be of interest to the masses).

On the software front, their new tourney lobby stats are really good, it will be interesting to see just how much they can improve now they have some serious competition to worry about.

The most interesting thing on Stars last month was the following hand, which led to me having one of my worst ever replies from their usually great support staff. (Basically I was told that they already knew about the incident and the implication was that I shouldn't have bothered to let them know, it was all cleared up after a mighty sulk on my part)

>> >>PokerStars Game #142946278: Hold'em No Limit ($3/$6) - 2003/10/11 -
>> >>21:24:23 (ET)
>> >>Table 'Proteus' Seat #2 is the button
>> >>Seat 1: B Buddy ($751.95 in chips)
>> >>Seat 2: Johnster ($561.90 in chips)
>> >>Seat 3: Samourai ($711.80 in chips)
>> >>Seat 4: pat_c ($621.95 in chips)
>> >>Seat 5: Ector ($1719 in chips)
>> >>Seat 6: AmFghtngHero ($779.20 in chips)
>> >>Seat 7: NoHandNoDraw ($1996.25 in chips)
>> >>Seat 8: NOBODY CARES ($147 in chips)
>> >>Seat 9: DaBrain ($1090.45 in chips)
>> >>Samourai: posts small blind $3
>> >>pat_c: posts big blind $6
>> >>*** HOLE CARDS ***
>> >>Ector: raises $1713 to $1719 and is all-in
>> >>AmFghtngHero: folds
>> >>NoHandNoDraw: calls $1719
>> >>NOBODY CARES: folds
>> >>DaBrain: folds
>> >>DaBrain said, "uh oh"
>> >>B Buddy: folds
>> >>Johnster: folds
>> >>Samourai: folds
>> >>pat_c: folds
>> >>*** FLOP *** [9d 7d 6c]
>> >>pat_c said, "wtf"
>> >>B Buddy said, "wow"
>> >>Ector said, "AA"
>> >>*** TURN *** [9d 7d 6c] [9s]
>> >>*** RIVER *** [9d 7d 6c 9s] [Kh]
>> >>B Buddy said, "72"
>> >>*** SHOW DOWN ***
>> >>Ector: shows [As Ah] (two pair, Aces and Nines)
>> >>NoHandNoDraw: shows [8s 5s] (a straight, Five to Nine)
>> >>NoHandNoDraw collected $3444 from pot
>> >>*** SUMMARY ***
>> >>Total pot $3447 | Rake $3
>> >>Board [9d 7d 6c 9s Kh]
>> >>Seat 1: B Buddy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 2: Johnster (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 3: Samourai (small blind) folded before Flop
>> >>Seat 4: pat_c (big blind) folded before Flop
>> >>Seat 5: Ector showed [As Ah] and lost with two pair, Aces and Nines
>> >>Seat 6: AmFghtngHero folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 7: NoHandNoDraw showed [8s 5s] and won ($3444) with a straight,
>>Five
>> >>to Nine
>> >>Seat 8: NOBODY CARES folded before Flop (didn't bet)
>> >>Seat 9: DaBrain folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Also this month, Stars began rebuy tourneys.

Ultimatebet

Ultimate is now the fastest site online and has boosted figures this month with no less than THREE deposit bonuses. (One of which was Jan 1st, I'm not going to split hairs, this is written after that so it counts as December)
After some amusement at the points bug (where in 10/25 points games, you earned points as if the game was 10/25 NL and could almost make a profit by not playing a hand) the new software has generated very mixed opinions.

I like the new colors, although am struggling with the layout, whilst the majority have said exactly the opposite.

The one thing that is not in much doubt is the improved Jackpot structure, although when challenged as to how exactly their claim of $570 every 90 mins could be substantiated, the email fell on what is now becoming ever increasingly deaf ears.

The stone cold nuts next weekend appears to be on target to break most online records.

A good and promising month from Ultimate, who are clearly willing to put up a fight for new customers.

Paradise

Paradise had an amazing month by finally releasing their Multi table tourneys.

The tournaments are very sleek indeed with some well thought out ideas, notably different level times for different buyin amounts, and a good mix of tournament games and buyins to choose from.

However, there are still problems.
The levels are badly designed, as are the 1k chips.

All-in abuse is just starting to get big at the site too.

However, the single worst thing they have done, is that the announce the prize pool as it would be BEFORE they take their 9%, but if you add up the prizes, there is 9% missing from the kitty.
My email has been forwarded to management for review....

The 20k guarantee tourney is finally starting to get less players, but it is still attracting well over 1000 a day.

%age wise, Paradise was the month's big winner, mostly at the expense of Stars.

Other sites

Prima

Prima had a good month, with TGC's second OIC.

However their WSOP qualifier was a public relations disaster, with two levels of increases between big blinds for most people turning the game into a shootout.

There are still also a high number of complaints from suspended accounts. People should make of that what they will, there could be a high number of cheats that Prima are actively catching, or there could be someone in the office who is a little trigger happy.

True

True are gearing up for what promises to be a good WSOP promotion, I think this will fall into the January category though.

Dynamite

The Dynamite deposit bonus appears to have boosted the site considerably.

Sorry to those sites I have missed out, I'll try to do this monthly, but please don't hold me to anything, I'm rather busy and lazy right now.

Lori

Edit: I misused the term market share in this post, it should read number of customers.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does "sulking" mean. Are you saying they gave you back your money or something? are yu saying something was crooked? What are you saying?

Schneids
01-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah... I'm confused too. What can they do about that hand? What did Lori want done? Do they suspect the 85s guy is a hack?

Gahnia radula
01-06-2004, 12:33 AM
"Whats a "doddle" ?

English slang, usually referring to a task that is easy to do"

or a penis

William
01-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Agreed. What is the point with that hand? Unreal , ok, and then what?

Lori
01-06-2004, 12:52 AM
The point with the hand is as follows, bearing in mind Im not accusing anyone of anything.

I mailed support about that hand, as it could _potentially_ have been chip dumping.
Instead of saying thanks, they basically told me to mind my own business as they already knew about it.

Im not complaining, they have researched the hand and decided no action is taken, however it still ranks as an amusing hand to me, more so now we know the play was fair.

Am I the only one here that wouldn't have made that call?

It was discussed on RGP, I didn't read the discussion, however I found the hand entertaining and so I posted it.

Lori

Jim Kuhn
01-06-2004, 01:04 AM
I would not have made that call. I would have reraised to isolate the original raiser. How can you 'just call' with that hand?

William
01-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Yes, we all agree that it was an incredible call. As regarding stars, a friend of mine who runs a cardroom once told me that an online site will never admit that they have been hacked, as it would be extremely bad for business admitting their security was outdated. I don't aprove of it, but it surely makes sense.

Sleepy Weasel
01-06-2004, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one here that wouldn't have made that call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M.B.E.
01-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Ector, the player who pushed in with AA and lost, posted in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=369412&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1) from October.

The hand was also posted in the Mid- and High-Stakes Holdem forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=369422&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1).

More recently, there were two threads on rgp within a couple of days of each other in December, this one (http://groups.google.com/groups?th=169db0348616ae73) and this one (http://groups.google.com/groups?th=c1f22d201cbce54f).

I'm kind of curious why it popped up on rgp, twice, two months after the fact.