PDA

View Full Version : 6/12 adjustment?

06-27-2002, 02:42 PM
i will be playing in a new (for me) 6/12 game. they play 10 handed. a friend says it is hard to beat as it is ca. loose. he suggested not raising with jj,qq or ak not suited in early position and not to raise out of blinds without aa or kk. he says there are frequently 7-9 see flop even in raised pots. any comments welcome. thanks Patrick

06-27-2002, 05:25 PM
he suggested not raising with jj,qq or ak not suited in early position

This is very poor advice. When players are playing god-awful hands, you need to bet and raise with your quality hands. Your friends' advice is suggesting you become a passive calling station.

06-27-2002, 06:18 PM
thanks D I'm off to play. maybe i'll post a hand or 2

06-27-2002, 06:57 PM
1st off...dont judge the game til your in it. the texture may be different when youre playing. keep track of how they react to you and your raises. then adjust from there.

only AA or KK in the blinds? how predictable is your friend when he plays? in a game like this, i raise with many hands from the BB. sounds like hes not sure how to maximize profit in this game. especially if its loose but passive preflop. obviously your multiway hands are pretty valuable in these types of games. cut down on the shorthanded/offsuit hands...

b

06-27-2002, 08:16 PM
People often over-exagerate california games. 7-9 people seeing the flop in a 6-12 game is not a regular occurance (not a rarity either). Most of the time it will be 3 or 4 handed. You don't have to adjust much, but if you're not raising or re-raising with QQ you're doing something wrong (most of the time). Do you really want two people to call behind you with A5 and K9? These are hands that would be thrown away for a raise, but when you let loosies limp with them any A or K will beat you. Of course you gain the most when they DO call the raise with that crap.

-MD

06-27-2002, 09:48 PM
I started tracking my $6-12 results six months ago. I hadn't actually looked at the summary numbers til just now. I'm netting $70 per hour after 60 hours of play. Not much of sample size, I know. But $70 per hour? Yikes! That's almost enough to make me think I might know something!

These are definitive California $6-12 games, where the players work together to enjoy many cheap flops. Of all the words I've read about how to beat these games, I've not seen anyone touch on what I think is the most important thing. (But I just started reading Lee Jones's book.)

Be different. In a pool of likemindedness, stand out. Raise before the flop and fold on the flop for one bet. Reraise from the blind and then check-fold. Raise on the turn and fold on the river. Don't draw to five-outters. Fold the small blind, almost every time, to no raise. Fold the big blind, almost every time, to a raise. These are some of the things that almost none of my opponents do, that I constantly do. I don't know if any particular thing matters. But summed up, even though at first glance it looks like it shouldn't really matter, I think it helps to have the opponents a little edgy in those types of games.

Tommy

06-28-2002, 03:22 AM
Hey Patrick the only difference between a 6/12 game and let's say a 4/8 is that a rack cost's $200 in a 6/12 game and a $100 in a 4/8. Of course you raise with pocket Queens in early position because you are trying to get those rag hand out of their and you hope that the flop doesn't have a King or an Ace in it, and your queens will hold up. Also depending on the game even If an over card falls with you raising, If you have previously been playing some solid cards maybe they put you on a Ace and somebody with say K-7 suited throws in his cards. If an over card falls just play the hand as cheaply as possible. save your money for bigger and better hands. Also If someone is calling raises with the rag hands your talking about you should thank the guy, let him keep playing those hands all night long and watch how many times he goes back to his wallet to buy in for some more chips. Dan

06-28-2002, 03:40 PM
well i played last nite and it was a good game. i played a bit too tight and it cost me about a rack ($200) by playing too passivly. i ended down $1. thanks for the advise. i know that there is no formula and chips and cards are chips and cards.

06-28-2002, 04:38 PM
Sounds like he's worried that you'll make post flop mistakes with hands that aren't always good after the flop.

You really can lose less money by playing as your friend instructs, but you won't win a whole hell of a lot either.

To make $70 an hour at a 6-12 you need to play a little cards. Your friend is telling you to be a rock.

~D