PDA

View Full Version : winter in montana

Ray Zee
01-05-2004, 12:32 PM
well we finally have got a winter here. snow is deep in the mountains and today the temp. is 30 below right now. it is cold. but when cold the skies are clear and the sun is out and it is beautiful. wouldnt want to be anywhere else today.

Festus22
01-05-2004, 12:44 PM
What adjustments do you have to make to "normal" life when it's -30? Engine block heater? Humidifier? etc.

Ray Zee
01-05-2004, 01:16 PM
i have a heated garage but my ouside vehicles, like my snowplow all must be plugged into a block heater or will not start. after about 15 below many cars wont start without an engine block heater. when you go out to eat, you leave your car running if you want it to run when you get back in.
otherwise things go normally as long as you dont have pipes on ouside walls which will freeze up your plumbing.
i still go out ice skating if not windy and do all the normal things that one would do.
humidity here is usually around 30% anyway.

Zeno
01-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Do you do any ice fishing Ray?

-Zeno

Boris
01-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Sounds like a great winter Ray. makes me a bit homesick. I remember skiing when it was 20 below. If there is powder it is great becasue the snow is so light. the skis tend to be a bit sticky on the hardpack though at that temperature.

Ray Zee
01-06-2004, 01:20 AM
no ice fishing zeno. i cant hit the hole with my dry fly.

Ray Zee
01-06-2004, 01:25 AM
the cold day is now over. its up to minus 25 below right now. expected to hit over zero tomorrow for the high temp.
it was so cold the bald eagles stayed in the trees down by the river all day and wouldnt fly. its going to warm as we are getting a storm coming in from the pacific. anybody coming up for a spot of tea.

Ed I
01-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Yup, had to wear my winter coat the last few days walking to work. 20s today and mid 30s by Fri, time to think about getting on the river again.