PDA

View Full Version : Weak fold?

BugsBunny
01-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Prima Poker 1/2 6 handed

Hero in the SB with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG calls
CO calls
Button calls
Hero raises
all call

Flop ($10 pot):
J /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero bets
BB raises
UTG
button folds
Hero re-raises
BB and UTG both call

Turn ($19 pot)
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif [J /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
Hero bets
both call

River ($25 pot)
8 /images/graemlins/club.gif [Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif [J /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif]]
Hero checks (intending to check call since both str8 and flush possibilities are now on board - bet out here?)
BB bets
UTG raises
Hero calls (re-raise here?)
BB raises
UTG re-raises
Hero folds??
BB calls

Comments? Results to follow

me454555
01-05-2004, 12:57 PM
I'd call BBs bet on the river but when UTG suddenly comes alive on the river, you can assume your toast b/c hes hit one of the two draws on board, probobly the flush.

CMangano
01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Although I have called 2 cold on the river with sets before, I think folding is right when it is 2 bets back to you. You have sown strength the whole hand, so it isn't likely the raiser is going to bluff. Plus, the other players can see that any 9 makes a straight and there are 3 clubs on board, so they probably won't be willing to raise without at least a 9 - if not 2 clubs.

Fold the first time it comes around for 2 bets.

Joe Tall
01-05-2004, 01:08 PM
I think checking the river cost you a cheap showdown. Jamming a hand and then laying off of it later is a sign of weakness and a bluff. There are str8 and flush posibilites however, there are also many other 2-pair and other combinations that can be overplayed here.

Betting out the river would have made your decision to fold much easier.

Welcome to the fourm,
Joe Tall

BugsBunny
01-05-2004, 02:01 PM
If I had bet out on the river should I have folded to a raise? How about a raise and a re-raise?

Joe Tall
01-05-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I had bet out on the river should I have folded to a raise? How about a raise and a re-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call a raise and fold to a 3-bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall

BugsBunny
01-06-2004, 05:01 AM
BB shows J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG mucks
BB takes the pot with 2 pair - aaaaarggh - my set would have been good. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The way they played this hand on the river I think it would have been raised and reraised even if I had bet out - but I would have been more likely to call it down considering the pot size. It caused to to re-evaluate some of my betting standards again.

Note that if this was heads up instead of against 2 opponents I still think the check/call would have been correct. Against 2 opponents and the way the betting went I should have continued to be the aggressor and seen what happens. Another lesson learned. I'd still love to know what UTG had, but that info isn't available via prima.

SwordFish
01-06-2004, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd still love to know what UTG had, but that info isn't available via prima.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know which skin you are playing through at Prima, but at The Gaming Club you can see the hole cards mucked at showdown. Use the "Playcheck" feature, put in the hand number then go to "Quick View" and it shows mucked cards. It's too much of a pain to do for most hands, but it is available when you need to know.

SF