PDA

View Full Version : 3/6/12 Blind Defense Hand

Lost Wages
01-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Live 3/6/12 game. Preflop, flop and turn are just like 3/6 (1/3 blinds). On the river you can bet or raise 6 or 12.

The table is very loose/passive so steal/defense opportunities are rare. The button is a kid who looks like he needs to have his ID checked. We have both been at the table a while. About a hour ago it was folded to him in the SB and the dealer asked if he wanted to chop. He repeeked at his cards, said "no" and raised. He then check-folded the flop and the table got a chuckle. The one time that it was folded to him on the button he raised, again I didn't get to see his hole cards. Postflop he plays relatively well, aggressive and not chasing bad draws.

Anyway, on to the hand. Folded to the button who repeeks and raises, SB calls, I call in the BB with KJo.

Flop is K97r, SB checks, I bet, button raises, SB folds, I call.

Turn is a 3. I bet, button hesitates and calls.

River is a 5 no flush. I bet 6. Button says "Well, you probably have me beat but I have to keep you honest" and calls.

Thoughts on my play? Any guesses on the buttons hand?

Lost Wages

ScottTheFish
01-05-2004, 12:04 PM
You played it just like I would have, which should scare you! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Looks routine to me, you have TP with a decent kicker, no obvious draws on the board. His raise on the flop could mean a lot of things...free card play, he has a weaker king, etc.

Did you have a read on him that made you bet into him on the turn after he raised?

how does a 3/6/12 game work anyway?

I'm guessing he had a king with a weak kicker or A9

Schneids
01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
You played fine.

I'm guessing button had QQ-TT.

Lost Wages
01-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Did you have a read on him that made you bet into him on the turn after he raised?

Like you said, his raise could mean anything. I thought that if I 3-bet the flop he might cap leaving me wondering where I was. By just calling and betting the turn it puts a lot of pressure on him if he just has an ace or medium pocket pair. Anyway, that was my thinking right or wrong.

how does a 3/6/12 game work anyway?

Like I said, preflop flop and turn are exactly like 3/6. On the river you have the option of betting 6 or 12. If someones bets 6 it can be raised to 12 or 18. It's actually a fun game.

Lost Wages

Lost Wages
01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
ScottTheFish gets a blue ribbon. Button had A9o.

Lost Wages

MikeyObviously
01-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I'd 3 bet the flop. If this kid will steal with any Kx hand, and will raise in position with any kicker to go with his top pair, which it sounds like he will, then reraise, even though a jack kicker is not terrific. go from there...

Joe Tall
01-06-2004, 08:31 AM
I think you can get more out of this hand by 3-betting or check-raising at some point.

Check-raising the flop could have been ideal here, the SB may have called 1 bet not two cold.

Peace,
Joe Tall