PDA

View Full Version : Mixing it up, standard or crazy?

Joe Tall
01-04-2004, 06:41 PM
5/10 Foxwoods w/Kill - This is Kill Hand so we are playing 10/20. We were on the Kill for over 2-straight dealers at this point and think I dragged only one of those pots, the only one I played in.

Really soft game, very passive. The games have been amazing as of late, 1/2 Party Poker is a tougher game than this one. I am having a good session and have not been getting much action due to my tight aggressive image and 11 stacks of red

3 limpers to the Kill Blind who is the only other decent player at the table and he checks his option, 3 more limpers and I raise on the button w/Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Blinds fold, all the limpers call, the Kill Blind folds.

6 to the flop for 7.5 BBs

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP bets out, 2 limpers call and I raise, all call.

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

All check to me and I bet, only 1 LP limper who is a call station calls.

River: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

LP checks, I bet, LP calls.

What do you think? Anyone do it differently? How about 'dem Cowboys, JoeU? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Peace,
Joe Tall

BottlesOf
01-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm surprised you raise this preflop, and then raise again on the flop. Seems VERY aggressive and you got kinda lucky.

I'm hoping your kidding about being easier than party 1/2. If that's realy the case, I need to quit playing the 4/8.

I have a question about the kill in that game. It kills @ 100, and does the game remain 10/20 until there's a pot under $100? How long does this typically take?

spamuell
01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Seems good to me if you're fairly sure you will be checked to on the turn.

There was a fairly similar post to this one in the ML forum: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=464398&page=1&view=expand ed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone do it differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, depending on my table image - given your tight aggressive one, this seems like the perfect time to mix it up and keep them guessing, as well as giving yourself a good chance to win a nice pot.

spamuell
01-04-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you raise this preflop, and then raise again on the flop. Seems VERY aggressive and you got kinda lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 7 limpers(!), raising here seems pretty standard to me. QTs plays very well multi-way, it's good to build a large pot now so JT has odds to draw if he flops something, and he has the button! Also, this raise is image building, if he gets to show his hand down. There is a very similar example to this in Gary Carson's book when he is talking about loose games, and he advocates a limp-reraise from the button with 97s and 6 limpers (the BB raised)! Compared to that, this move is weak-tight.

I don't think JT got particularly lucky - the hand plays well multiway, he played the hand multiway, he won the pot (I assume). What do you suggest he did differently? Not raising this huge flop with a backdoor flush and straight draw and overcards is criminal in a passive game where he can be fairly sure of being checked to on the turn.

The more I think about this hand, the more it makes complete sense.

BottlesOf
01-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Didn't notice the 7 limpers. However, did you say by raising he could get the button? This isn't a reason to raise, as he already had the button.

spamuell
01-04-2004, 07:27 PM
I didn't say he could get the button, I said he has the button hence he can range with a wider range of hands as he is in position throughout the hand, and it's very unlikely that anyone will make it 3 bets PF and get rid of some of the limpers.

AceHigh
01-04-2004, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5/10 Foxwoods w/Kill - ... Really soft game, very passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be standard play in these games, your hand is much better than the average limper and will win more than it's fair share.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone do it differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would just call on the flop, then raise the turn.

JoeU
01-04-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about 'dem Cowboys, JoeU?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for rubbing it in pal! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

As far as the hand goes, I'm not a big fan of the pre-flop raise. I think the only reason to raise there is to get more money in the pot. You did get all the blinds to fold to limit the field though. I do like the flop raise though. You showed aggression pre-flop and are now representing a huge hand with that raise. The turn card sort of rescues you as I think the other player flopped top pair. Now, the hand is automatic.

We'll be back next year, hopefully with a running back that can run. /images/graemlins/grin.gif You should be a little nervous about the Titans.

Joe

Joe Tall
01-05-2004, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping your kidding about being easier than party 1/2. If that's realy the case, I need to quit playing the 4/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. In fact my first hand playing 10/20 on New Year's Eve saw 7 limpers.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about the kill in that game. It kills @ 100, and does the game remain 10/20 until there's a pot under $100?

[/ QUOTE ]

It stays up at 10/20 as long as the pot is over $100.

[ QUOTE ]
How long does this typically take?

[/ QUOTE ]

This cannot be answered, it's 100% table dependant. However, from the sound of your question, if the level is too high, don't play it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you raise this preflop, and then raise again on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The preflop raise on the button is routine. The flop raise was pushing an edge, true. I was hoping for more responses on this but I feel pretty confindent in the way I played it.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
01-05-2004, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of the pre-flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part I'm sure of, this raise is routine. JTG's reverse-school is working... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You showed aggression pre-flop and are now representing a huge hand with that raise

[/ QUOTE ]

And what do you think of that?

Peace,
JT

Clarkmeister
01-05-2004, 03:50 AM
You played it perfectly. Getting all 3 blinds to fold is fabulous.

Joe Tall
01-05-2004, 08:32 AM
I flipped over my Queen and LP mucked. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the other side of the table one of the 'OK' players leaned over to the decent player and said, "Did he raise that preflop?", decent player said, "Yeah, in a Kill pot, I was the Kill blind." Then the decent player said, "I think he raised the flop too, with absolutely nothing." OK player said, "I didn't think he played crazy but now I don't know what to think." I just kept my head down and listened.

The hand created some extra action as I was called down more often and saw a few more cold-callers when I open raised.

Thank you for all your responses.

Peace,
Joe Tall

JoeU
01-05-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And what do you think of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a great play. I just looked at the results; I would have paid money to see the looks on their faces. With JTG's schooling, you'd fit right in to the home game. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe