PDA

View Full Version : Would you people PLEASE stop being jerks at the tables?

SpaceAce
01-04-2004, 06:22 PM
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseum but I cannot get over the poor behavior some players show at the online tables. I see it in live play, too, but it is much worse online. People seem to be extra cranky at the pot limit and no limit tables.

Over the last two days I have had the great fortune to sit in three different online games that each had at least one truly spectacular fish playing. One guy dropped about $125 in fifteen minutes making huge bluffs with total rags. Another player played EVERY SINGLE HAND and raised 100% of the time if no one raised in front of her. These players were like gold mines but of course they put the hurt down a few times and many of the other players at the tables acted like babies that had their pacifiers taken away.

Yes, it hurts to get sucked out on by a really crappy hand but what goes around comes around. The always-raise fish took a 120 big blind pot off of me by playing T5o for 12 big blinds against my AA and calling a reraise to almost 50 big blinds against my set of Aces with nothing but an inside straight draw. She hit and I lost but I got it all back and then some.

I am certain that with all the bad behavior I see at the tables, some of the people acting like idiots must read these forums. I just want to ask you to please shut up. All your whining does is make the game unpleasant for everyone else at the table and you scare off the fish. I left a table last night up well over 200 big blinds because of the fish that sucked out on me with T5s. Everyone was yelling at her when I left the table. I went to bed, woke up and ended up back at the same table where the fish and two of the people from the night before were still playing. They were STILL arguing! These guys were just ripping into the fish, complaining, namecalling, etc. The fish was obviously feeling abused and getting tired of it. Stop it, you idiots! If you hate the player so much, get up and leave the table.

There is simply no excuse to be swearing at other players at the table, making juvenile cracks about their mothers or being nasty in general. You don't make yourself look better, you don't get your money back and you screw it up for the rest of us who are getting paid off. If you're mad, fine, but please punch your chair or something. You're really making the online experience less fun and less profitable with your childish screeching.

SpaceAce

Redhotman
01-04-2004, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseum but I cannot get over the poor behavior some players show at the online tables. I see it in live play, too, but it is much worse online. People seem to be extra cranky at the pot limit and no limit tables.

Over the last two days I have had the great fortune to sit in three different online games that each had at least one truly spectacular fish playing. One guy dropped about $125 in fifteen minutes making huge bluffs with total rags. Another player played EVERY SINGLE HAND and raised 100% of the time if no one raised in front of her. These players were like gold mines but of course they put the hurt down a few times and many of the other players at the tables acted like babies that had their pacifiers taken away.

Yes, it hurts to get sucked out on by a really crappy hand but what goes around comes around. The always-raise fish took a 120 big blind pot off of me by playing T5o for 12 big blinds against my AA and calling a reraise to almost 50 big blinds against my set of Aces with nothing but an inside straight draw. She hit and I lost but I got it all back and then some.

I am certain that with all the bad behavior I see at the tables, some of the people acting like idiots must read these forums. I just want to ask you to please shut up. All your whining does is make the game unpleasant for everyone else at the table and you scare off the fish. I left a table last night up well over 200 big blinds because of the fish that sucked out on me with T5s. Everyone was yelling at her when I left the table. I went to bed, woke up and ended up back at the same table where the fish and two of the people from the night before were still playing. They were STILL arguing! These guys were just ripping into the fish, complaining, namecalling, etc. The fish was obviously feeling abused and getting tired of it. Stop it, you idiots! If you hate the player so much, get up and leave the table.

There is simply no excuse to be swearing at other players at the table, making juvenile cracks about their mothers or being nasty in general. You don't make yourself look better, you don't get your money back and you screw it up for the rest of us who are getting paid off. If you're mad, fine, but please punch your chair or something. You're really making the online experience less fun and less profitable with your childish screeching.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]
i disagree completely. The fish are usually trying to catch up, trash talk will make them lose money faster.
All that bothers me is when sweethearts liek you start giving lessons about implied odds and game theory at the table, when im trying to make the green.

Jester999
01-04-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i disagree completely. The fish are usually trying to catch up, trash talk will make them lose money faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, from my experience you couldn't be more wrong. It happens like this. A fish sucks out on someone causing massive frustration. The 'player' who has just lost the large pot begins berating said player. Others jump in an attempt to appear 'smart'. The fish, tired of the abuse, sometimes fights back a bit, but generally just up and leaves the table taking the money and the opportunity to win it back with them.

Trash talking while you're '...trying to make the green' chases away potential profit for you and other players.

I rarely talk at the tables, but will make some comment after this kind of boorish behavior costs me potential money.

While I agree with the premise of the post, I'm guessing the intended audience rarely visits a sight such as this one.

Redhotman
01-04-2004, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, from my experience you couldn't be more wrong. It happens like this. A fish sucks out on someone causing massive frustration. The 'player' who has just lost the large pot begins berating said player. Others jump in an attempt to appear 'smart'. The fish, tired of the abuse, sometimes fights back a bit, but generally just up and leaves the table taking the money and the opportunity to win it back with them.

Trash talking while you're '...trying to make the green' chases away potential profit for you and other players.

I rarely talk at the tables, but will make some comment after this kind of boorish behavior costs me potential money.

While I agree with the premise of the post, I'm guessing the intended audience rarely visits a sight such as this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats not what I meant....
I normally talk trash to the player who suffered the bad beat. I will DEFEND the fish and infuriate the other player.

Jester999
01-04-2004, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I normally talk trash to the player who suffered the bad beat. I will DEFEND the fish and infuriate the other player.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies. I had it wrong. I always defend the 'fish' and if I'm in a feisty mood will engage the other player. So, you and I handle it just about the same way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpaceAce
01-05-2004, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All that bothers me is when sweethearts liek you start giving lessons about implied odds and game theory at the table, when im trying to make the green.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this is part of some master plan to make your self look like a fool. Congratulations. Don't assume anything about me or what I do. Courtesy to the fish is not the same as teaching them better play. Go ahead and abuse the fish, that'll make you lots of money when they get fed up with your lip and leave.

SpaceAce

SpaceAce
01-05-2004, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats not what I meant....

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Why would I be giving "lessons in implied odds" to the person who took the beat and how would that effect your "green"?

SpaceAce

SpaceAce
01-05-2004, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies. I had it wrong. I always defend the 'fish' and if I'm in a feisty mood will engage the other player. So, you and I handle it just about the same way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't waste a lot of energy defending anyone but I'm always polite and I tell them not to worry about what others say. Play your game your way is my advice to the fish.

SpaceAce

MrBlini
01-05-2004, 04:28 AM
I agree. We all need to remember to be very kind to those who play for reasons other than to beat the game. Many people play (gasp!) for company and fun, and they are often the ones who don't mind losing a few bucks in the process. They're also the ones we'd most like to have back, and not just for the money. Poker is more fun for everybody* when it's more social. The next several times I play, I'm going to make even more of an effort than usual to say:

Wow, nice hand!
What a streak!
fishy123, you are on a roll!

And when they slowplay bottom set:

Wow, very nice! I'd never have guessed you had a set. Well played.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

P.S. I like to feed the fishies exclamation marks. Any problems with that?

* except grumps

theBruiser500
01-05-2004, 10:45 AM
When a fish takes my money, I don't insult them because I'm too afraid they'll leave. I like to strike up a conversation with them so they don't leave the table. After a hand where they do something fishy and win, like call an all in with bottom pair and catch to win - sometimes I'll say nothing, but I also like to say "nice call." They don't realize I'm being sarcastic, they take it as a compliment, I always found that pretty amusing.