PDA

View Full Version : Useful Application of Public Humiliation

Schneids
01-04-2004, 04:08 PM
I was recently involved in a discussion in the "Saddam's POW Status and Television Appearance" post where I made the statement I would be for many forms of public humiliation as punishment. However, I lost track of this post and forgot about it, so didn't add in more replies... I will do so here, by giving one such example of where I think a form of public humiliation should be a mandatory part of the penalty:

Take drunk drivers. Say you get pulled over once for DUI or DWI. Alright, let the normal penalties take place... You're human, maybe you had a few drinks and didn't realize your BA level was that high. If it happens a second time though, I firmly believe that whenever these people get their license back, they should be required to have special markings on their license plate -- thus identifying them as repeat drunk driving offenders.

Is this public humiliation? Yes, yes it is. Will it curb some people from repeat offending, since EVERY TIME they drive a vehicle anyone can see their sins? I most certainly think it will. Human ego cannot be underestimated.

Additionally, even if this is a little humiliating for the repeat offender, it serves the public's best interest in that it should be our right to know if we have a multiple-offending drunken driver approaching us on our rear.

Terry
01-04-2004, 04:45 PM
The license plate is too small. How about a big Scarlet Letter painted all over the car, like a race car’s number?

Should this only be used for “hot button” crimes like drunk driving and child molesting, or should shoplifters, graffiti sprayers and those with overdue library books be given a letter too? Makes one yearn for the return of the pillory, huh?

ACPlayer
01-04-2004, 08:10 PM
WHat about poker players who underreport their winnings?