PDA

View Full Version : here's an easy one...

muzungu
01-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Well, maybe not easy, but fairly standard. AKs/AKo in EP or MP, standard opening raise, LP raises. Call or reraise? Assume fairly short (read: partyesque) stacks. Against a loose player I'll always raise, but not so sure what to do against a solid player or someone I have no read on.

Thanks!

1800GAMBLER
01-04-2004, 05:25 AM
All dependants what hands he'd do that with. AA - QQ AK you should fold. It's combination maths if you want to work it out.

Example:

AA - 3
KK - 3
QQ - 6
AK - 9
AQ - 12

So 6 times you are behind, way behind.
6 times you are seeing the flop and folding without a AK which is 2/3rds of that.
9 times you are drawing.
12 times you are winning.

So 12 out of 33 you are winning.

Getting more complex, you then have to look at the pot equity in each case, i.e. AA vs AK and AQ vs AK then times that by the combinations and the money that goes in each case.

In brief, i usually call, but if it's party poker that may be a mistake. One of the other's will tell you better.

SpaceAce
01-04-2004, 06:10 AM
How big a raise are we talking, here? At PartyPoker, a max reraise of, say, a pot-sized raise pre-flop usually means something big. There are two main types of reraisers I see at PartyPoker: Idiots and powerhouses. The idiots think 44 is a giant hand and will reraise or even go all in with it no matter what strength you've shown. The powerhouses aren't reraising with anything less than AK (sometimes QQ) and usually it's something even bigger than that, so I would not come back over the top of them. You do see the occasional tricky or variable raiser but most reraises at PartyPoker (at least on the $25 and $50 tables) fall into the idiot or powerhouse categories.

In general, I don't think it's worth coming back over someone with AK at PartyPoker unless you know them to be wild or foolish.

SpaceAce