PDA

View Full Version : Re: Talking trash online

MrDurden
01-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Im going to post this because i think ive noticed a pattern or two in the people that do not like trash talking.

1. Im assuming they are bad players or at least, in a sense afraid of this sort of confrontation.
2. They are looking at poker as a GAME, which is fine when not played for money. When poker is played for money it no longer becomes a game, it becomes something more than that (to me at least).
3. Most of the players responding adversely to my post either cannot read or just choose not to understand my post.
4. These same players are now calling me names while hiding behind the safety of their computers, as well as accusing me of doing the same.
5. They have taken my words out of context and are cursing at me like i just committed some horrible sin. And the irony of this is that these same people think it is just a game. Tell me no one else sees the irony and complete hypocrisy of some of these posts.

Anyways thank you to all of the people being honest, and not contradicting themselves by slandering me in the same way they are assuming i am slandering others.

William
01-04-2004, 03:38 AM
You really are an IDIOT.

Al Schoonmaker
01-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Let me deal with your points one by one. My numbers are the same as yours.
1. Your assumption that only bad players object to bad manners is nonsensical. Linda Johnson is a leader in the movement toward zero tolerance of bad manners, and she a GREAT player. Mason Malmuth, David Sklansky, and Ray Zee are 2+2's major authors, and they are all gentlemen at the table. I could list lots of others. I play only for low stakes, but I am an extremely consistent winner (as well as a respected writer).
2. If you feel that poker is not a game because it is played for money, your values are extremely distorted. Money is just the way we keep score.
3. Since I have a Berkeley Ph.D., I can obviously read. Chesspain is also a doctor of psychology. Attacking our "inability to read" is absurd. We object to your position BECAUSE we know exactly what you have said and understand the implications.
4. My real name is on everything I write for this or any other 2+2 forum, and everyone knows who I am or can easily find out.
5. I have not taken your words out of context. Claiming that I or others have done so is the sort of nonsense that dishonest politicians state. The position you stated is morally indefensible. We are objecting to your position and have used your own words.
If you read my articles at cardplayer.com, you will see that I four of my last 15 or so state the importance of good manners at the table: "Obnoxious Jerks I & II," "It's a new era," and "Nasty people." If you read this forum regularly, you will see that I believe that manners are exceptionally important. Trash talking is not consistent with the values of educated, decent people.
Al

Lazymeatball
01-04-2004, 05:31 AM
Hey at least you were honest to admit your controversial strategy here on the forum and start an interesting thread. As you can see most of the respected posters here are in disagreement with you.

Your strategy doesn't bother me much, but I usually won't trash talk unless someone else starts with me, then my fragile ego demands that I defend my online honor and I rip into the guy. Otherwise I think a cordial and polite image that let's people have a good time while losing their money is much better.

www.tiltboys.com (http://www.tiltboys.com) is full of stories about guys trying to tilt eachother to gain a profit, but most of the time it is friends tilting friends and not strangers. Their is a fine line between a good natured ribbing, and grilling a guy who's just trying to have fun.

Brian462
01-04-2004, 06:24 AM
At the very least, your first thread was open and honest and genuinly seemed like you were looking for feedback on the subject. There were a few people who then went overboard by attacking and calling you names and such. I can definitely see the irony of all this. If what you do at the table is not against the rules then I don't see why you should have to consider stopping. If the player base decides they don't like your actions then they can push to make rules against it so that it will stop. Instead it seems like you are being harassed so that you will stop harassing others, how productive.

However, I think you are antagonizing everyone and then playing defensive, which is just as hypocritical. Basically, everyone has stated their opinions clearly, so the discussion is done. No need for this little add on.

chesspain
01-04-2004, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They have taken my words out of context and are cursing at me like i just committed some horrible sin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done nothing of the kind. Although I guess I am guilty of spreading malicious truths about you.

RowdyZ
01-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Honestly I could care less most of the time when someone at my table trys your tilt tatics. In fact it usually works out better for me because if he is putting so much effort in trying to put me on tilt then he isn't concentrating on his game he is trying to figure out his next insult. Also the more you show that his trash talking doesn't bother you the harder he trys and actually starts putting him on tilt when his tatics don't work . I have noticed that you can usaully tilt that person pretty easily by trapping them in a big hand because they weren't paying attention. Once that happens they insults increase and the level of thier play goes down and my profit goes up. So PLEASE trash talk to me all you want.

Al_Capone_Junior
01-04-2004, 07:21 PM
None of your "points" apply to me. I doubt any of them really apply to the others who were harsh towards your post. I say this even tho I WASN'T harsh towards you. However, the negative responses you got were quite expected, given what you said. You hung yourself. I suggest YOU hide behind the anonymity of the internet and start over on 2+2 with a new name if you want any respect, because you've started off with a major loss of it.

al

Redhotman
01-04-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to post this because i think ive noticed a pattern or two in the people that do not like trash talking.

1. Im assuming they are bad players or at least, in a sense afraid of this sort of confrontation.
2. They are looking at poker as a GAME, which is fine when not played for money. When poker is played for money it no longer becomes a game, it becomes something more than that (to me at least).
3. Most of the players responding adversely to my post either cannot read or just choose not to understand my post.
4. These same players are now calling me names while hiding behind the safety of their computers, as well as accusing me of doing the same.
5. They have taken my words out of context and are cursing at me like i just committed some horrible sin. And the irony of this is that these same people think it is just a game. Tell me no one else sees the irony and complete hypocrisy of some of these posts.

Anyways thank you to all of the people being honest, and not contradicting themselves by slandering me in the same way they are assuming i am slandering others.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good technique I learned.

Engage in a sexual relation with a players wife or loved one beofre a poker event and tak a poloroid picture of teh act.

Then keep it in your pocket and at a "convienent time" show it to the person in question.

:NOTE: Make sure this female is of age, I had a problem with a girl only being 16. Turns out that is illegal in this state.