PDA

View Full Version : you need to beat your heads-up fear

08-09-2002, 11:19 AM
I remember, times when I used to get a sinking feeling as the table emptied, knowing I had no hope to make any money in that situation. And I was not being irrational either, because I had no idea what I was doing heads up.

But when I finally learned to play heads up, I realized it was applicable, and was saving me from being picked off at odd times in full ring games. I think there is a chance this experience might be useful for other people.

So your goal might be not to be a profitable heads-up player. Rather, you just want to gain the confidence that you can break even, and not get picked off, in non-standard or heads-up type situations that come up in ring games.

eLROY

08-09-2002, 06:38 PM
I like heads up play, I'm decent at it, despite the swings. I won't play it though - because I play lowish limits and the rake kills me.

08-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Instead of using your confindence to pursue the objective of trying to just break even, Why not use the heads up situation as an opportunity to run over the poor puss who is unfortunate enough to be the victim of the MANIAC called you? A maniac who, BTW, has just demanded zero rake from the floorperson.

I mean why play a limited war when you've got a chance to achieve total victory? What's the point in pulling punches?

08-10-2002, 01:32 AM
If you're talking about on-line play, strike the "demand zero rake" part of my post.