PDA

View Full Version : 66 on the button

flopman
01-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Local 5/5 B&M game. 10 handed and loose/passive. I'm on the button and dealt 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif. EP raises, MP calls and I call. All fold and three to the flop. Flop is 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. EP bets, MP raises and I 3-bet. EP asks for time and folds. He whispers to the guy next to him that it's JJ. Turn is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet, MP calls. River is Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet and MP folds.

Questions:

1. Should I fold preflop?
2. Should I not 3-bet flop?
3. How would you play this hand?

flopman

Homer
01-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Preflop - Does the bet size not double on the turn/river? Assuming the betting is in $5 increments the whole way, you have an easy fold preflop. If the BB calls one more, you're getting 3:1 and are 7.5:1 against spiking a set. So, you'll have to make up 4.5X your initial investment ($45 or 9 bets) postflop to justify the preflop call (in reality, you'll need to collect even more to cover the times you'll lose even when you make a set). This is not likely to happen, so you should fold. If the bets double on the turn river, you still have a fold, but it's a little closer since you'll have greater implied odds postflop.

Flop - Typically I'll three-bet the flop, although this board is a good candidate for a slowplay. I really don't want to drive out the EP player by coldcalling the flop and raising the turn, forcing him to call two big bets cold, since it looks like he's drawing to 2 outs at most, and maybe even something like runner-runner J/T if he has AK. If you three-bet the flop he may take one off with AK or JJ, and then call a single bet on the turn (and maybe the river as well with JJ), whereas if you coldcall the flop, he will almost certainly fold for two big bets on the turn unless he has an overpair. If there were a few coldcallers between you and the flop raiser, then coldcalling becomes a better option, since you can trap a bunch of players for multiple big bets on the turn.

-- Homer

flopman
01-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks Homer. The game is $5 in all betting rounds.

flopman

bernie
01-03-2004, 06:47 PM
imay have called preflop. i like a couple more players. blinds usually come along. knowledge of the blinds play would help me call or fold.

you probably had the best hand the whole way.

id 3 bet the flop. but this is an instance where you could wait for the turn. but i like to jam my sets widening the range of hands theyd put me on here. since i may do it with TPTK also. or 2 pair. more coordinated board, maybe a flush draw.

b

bernie
01-03-2004, 06:49 PM
id be much more inclined to fold then

b